Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Little Bit Of Everything

To say that time is a precious commodity in my little part of the world would be a drastic understatement of facts. Truth be told, I find myself quite a bit over-extended most days, and the scales of time are heavily in favor of those things that have to be done and need to be done. Unfortunately, this leaves little time for things that I'd rather be doing.

Tuesdays in particular are jam-packed from the moment I wake until exhaustion sets in. However, I did read two chapters from A Clash of Kings last night. At least, I think I did. I'm about 150 pages into the 950 page installment, and I'm loving every second. I wish I could world build half as well as Martin does.

Speaking of writing, I haven't done much lately. Again, time has been lacking, and what little free time there is, something needs to be done or I'm just plain exhausted. I want to get some more editing done on this WIP, as I'm about 1/3 of the way through some reader notes.

I know what everyone says. Things akin to "There are always [dishes/laundry/yardwork} to be done, but they can be done later." That may be true, but I don't work like that. It's an unfair balance to work, unable to write knowing that something else requires your attention, and feeling guilty about not doing it while your writing or reading, which detracts from the experience of writing or reading. It's a cycle I've been unable (or, dare I say, unwilling?) to break. Hey, I made strides to finish a draft before doing any editing, and I've stuck with that. Well, the editing is slow, but I've broken that habit. Maybe one day I'll be able to not feel guilty about writing when other things or people need my attention.

I watched Oblivion recently. I know people get on Tom Cruise for his off-screen antics, but personally, I can detach the movie persona from the real life person. It was decent, albeit predictable. Heavy on the special effects, but executed well. Reviews over at Rotten Tomatoes have the movie scored low, but I fear people don't separate their personal feelings for Tom Cruise's lifestyle choices from the movie. Which is also why I don't pay attention to most reviews, especially negative ones. I mean, if everyone listened to things like Entertainment Weekly's review of Forrest Gump—"It is...glib, shallow, and monotonous, a movie that spends so much time sanctifying its hero that, despite his 'innocence,' he ends up seeming about as vulnerable as Superman."—who knows what would happen. To that end, I enjoyed it for the experience of the post-apocalyptic/post-alien invasion world. I mean, it's Earth, but After Earth. Pretty wicked, even in its predictability.

On the horizon, my brain has already been thinking about the April A-to-Z Blog Challenge. So, I put it to you, those few of you still coming by. Do I follow my original idea of teaching about Arthurian Legend? Or do I try to spend the next two months writing a 26 part series using the alphabet as a guide? Much more daunting an idea than speaking about King Arthur, Excaliber, Gawain, Lancelot, and Spamalot, to be sure, but maybe. Thoughts? Questions, concerns, queries, or conundrums?

Word to the Nerd

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Do whichever calls to you more.
I really liked Oblivion. Felt it got panned too hard.

Pearl said...

I made it through Martin's first three books and then surrendered, threw my hands up and walked away. That crazy man was taking up all my time.

An April A to Z Challenge? I can only assume that you will do it as Mozart did in "Amadeus"? As other writers, upside down, and possibly passing gas?

:-)

Pearl

Juli said...

I felt that way about the Game Of Thrones series. No one ate or had clean laundry for DAYS. I was the worst mother ever, while I visited Westeros.

I've decided to not do A-Z this year. It's great for networking and finding new blogs, but unless i have a REAL calling to do it, I feel that my time is best spent doing other things.

Plus, I'm hoping on a sizable vacation smack in the middle of April if the tax return proves favorable. :)

Pickleope Von Pickleope said...

That's a lot of qualification for Oblivion. I have no problem with Tom Cruise except he's getting the weird old man who works out a lot sternum thing, so I'd prefer he stopped insisting on taking his shirt off.
I agree with Alex, go with your gut.

Johanna Garth said...

I think all writer's relate to this. For me writing often comes in waves. I try to be productive all the time, but in reality, there are times when my creativity just works better than others.

Don't fight it. Enjoy :)

Vodka Logic said...

Can anyone do the A-Z challenge, and does there need to be a theme for the alphabet?

Scope said...

About the only writing I've been doing recently is documentation for the project at work that has been killing me. Getting in by 8:00 am, leaving around 7:00 pm. Everyday. For 5 or 6 months.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I actually liked oblivion better before the plot showed up. I liked watching him go about his day to day business with the empty world. That was the best part of the movie for me

Deniz Bevan said...

A 26 part series, like a new story?

Deniz Bevan said...

That sounds exciting!
Then again, I always enjoy reading about King Arthur.
But don't listen to me, I have no idea what I'll be doing for A-Z!

Donna Hole said...

I enjoyed Oblivion. Saw it at the theater and then bought the DVD. I rarely read reviews; I only care about ones that are helpful about the book/movie itself, not about the personal habits or the producers/actors/writers.

I've not been writing much either; but since I don't participate in A-Z (can't visit that many blog posts) I'm hoping to get something finished in rough draft, or maybe do one final edit to send to a publisher.

Have a good weekend Josh.

.....dhole

Maurice Mitchell said...

"Oblivion" was OK, but just OK. It looked beautiful, but lacked heart. I think it would take me 100 years to read a 950 page book, so good for you.

JennaQuentin said...

People talk about Oblivion because it had stars in it. What you might not know, is that the original plot is from a low budget wonder called Moon. Fab.u.lous. Try it out - I'd love to hear what you thought. Hang in there on the exhaustion, the work and time balance.