Monday, December 2, 2013

The Nerd Returns

Turns on lights.

Sees dust everywhere.

Turns off lights.

Lights a candle instead.

I'm back. Kind of. Sort of. It was a welcome break, and I accomplished quite a few things during it. Most importantly to the real world, I finished a huge project at work. Not that anyone will acknowledge it publicly, but it's done, I feel good about it, and I'll get to repeat the process once a month. It was a beast of a project, and I bent it to my will.Yes, it fought back, but I came out victorious in the end. And with 45 minutes to spare last Tuesday before jettisoning on a long Thanksgiving  weekend trip.

Speaking of which, I hope all of you that celebrate it had a great Thanksgiving. For those of you that this holiday did not apply, I hope you had great weeks of your own, and plenty of good things happen.

In other news, I finished NaNo last week. 50,000 words. Less than a month. Before you sound the congratulations, I'll go on record to say the same thing I did last year after I "won" NaNo...

I don't like it.

That is, I don't like my output. I still like the idea, but it takes a lot more thought than just writing down the words. To that end, most of it will be scrapped during the second draft. I'll keep the good things and send those I don't like to recycling. And by "recycling" I, of course, mean cutting the words and pasting them to another file. Just in case something needs to be resurrected.

Okay. There's work to do, and blogs to (eventually) read. Thanks for those of you that still stick around here. I'll be seeing you.

Word to the Nerd

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Even if you hate it, congratulations on beating NaNo.
And welcome back!
I'll call a maid to do some dusting for you.

Padded Cell Princess said...

Must be something in the air, I'm back too :)

I'm still amazed at anyone who does NaNo. That's longer than Branden's thesis.

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving! We had a fabulous Thanksgiving at some friends' house with about 20 other Americans...I'm still trying to get my voice back...heavens we are loud!

Azia DuPont said...

Congrats! On both the project and with NaNo! When I saw you finished so early, I was BLOWN AWAY! Way to go! But, I actually just finished blogging about the same thing- I hate what I wrote. I don't know if I'll do NaNo again haha

Pickleope said...

Welcome back...kind of sort of. Isn't that what 1st drafts are for, getting the basic ideas out of your head?

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I fully intended NaNoing my brain out but just didn't have the time this year as so many other things were going on. I am still editing last year's, for crying out loud. And I bet your effort this year wasn't as bad as you think. Probably hugely salvagable. Anyway, who LIKES something they write in quantity in such a short time? Someone who's doing it wrong, that's who! Hi!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Go you for kicking NaNo butt! You PWND it

Carl V. Anderson said...

Welcome back!

Getting work projects done is always a good thing, congrats on that and NaNoWriMo.

Hope yours was an enjoyable holiday.

fishducky said...

Welcome back, my friend!!

Minxy said...

You've gotten me curious enough about this NaNo thing to check it out...

*curious*

DEZMOND said...

I thought this place was dead and crawling with the walkers.....

Scope said...

I hear you on the work project kicking your butt and eating free time. If I leave work on time between now and March, it will be a miracle.

Glad to see you back.

Laura said...

Congratulations on winning NaNo, and on getting that big project done! Glad to see you back :)

Maurice Mitchell said...

Congrats on nano and it's good to see you back!

Cassie Mae said...

Welcome back to the land of the bloggers! And congrats on writing 50K of what will be mostly scrapped material. You're 50K ahead of me ;)

Jen said...

I'm glad you're back as your blog is one of my faves :)

Kato Pandorah's Box said...

Sweet on beating the big projects, both at work and in life! Woohoo!

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year!! :P