Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Top Five Tuesday: Movie Spin-offs To Reality TV

Last night, as I tried to unwind from a successful NaNo sprint session that pushed my total word count over 14K, I decided to kick around on Facebook. The wife of a good friend posted a status update about how they were going to the (and I can't believe I'm about to post about this movie) Twilight premiere in L.A. last night. I believe her exact words were, "Going to see Twilight Bitches!"

Strangely enough, my first thought was not, "Better you than me," but was instead an instant idea for a spin-off. Which inspired me to bring you today's list.

Five Movie-to-Reality TV Spin-offs

1. Twilight: Bitches - This one I imagine to be a lycanthropic Real Housewives kind of thing full of "Girl, no you didn't!" followed by fighting. But real fighting where they're out at a bar and some drunk girl slaps one of the TBs, she changes into a werewolf, and the real fighting ensues. Okay, so it's not a perfect formula, but still. Obviously, this one would be a fake reality show...or would it?

2. Running Man (or Gamer if you're too young for the 1987 classic) - This one should be a game show. Part Survivor, part paintball war, part American Gladiator. Drop contestants—either individuals or two- or three-person teams—into an arena. Maybe a ghost town. They have a goal to accomplish aside from being the last person standing.

3. Hunger Games Lite - Similar to the last one, except contestants are prisoners working for parole. I suppose that would make this one more similar to the concept of Gamer.

4. The Mall - Take the setting of Dawn of the Dead. Add in a healthy dose of Saw. The psychological thriller part, not the serial killer/everyone dies part. Drop a group of strangers into a mall. Leave clues for puzzles to be solved. They have to work as a group. Maybe someone has to "sacrifice" themselves for the greater good. If they make it out before the timer runs out, they win a prize. If they don't, we release the zombified crowd into the mall, turning it from a game show to a Zombie Run 5K.

5. Runaway Train - Taking cue from Murder on the Orient Express, the contestant boards a train and takes a seat. A few minutes into the ride, they are are told there is a murder or a theft that they have to solve before the train arrives at its destination (i.e. before the timer expires). The title is subject to change, but you can use the Soul Asylum song of the same name as the theme.

Another one I thought of was the basis of the film Exam. I posted about it on Saturday with a set of Netflix reviews (it's the third one down). Worth a watch, I think.

Any others you'd be itching to see if they became a (fake) reality/game show?

Word to the Nerd

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd watch Running Man and Runaway Train!

Kristen Wixted said...

I haven't seen enough of these movies to comment on all, but I can say your number five is something I would watch!
And I was thinking HG Lite could also be contestants playing practical jokes on each other.
No, that's lame. Sorry.

Matthew MacNish said...

I found myself wondering whether maybe some of these were real ...

DEZMOND said...

the rule for the TWILIGHT BITCHES reality show would be for the least talented actors or contestants to win to make it more authentic :)

I actually think that a reality programme on prisoners isn't that far away from us... And possibly a reality about caretakers from a morgue or something. The world is crazy enough....

Emily White said...

The Mall sounds interesting! Perhaps you should think about pursuing some of these ideas. I bet people would love to watch them. :)

Powdered Toast Man said...

You have a good idea there. How about Fight Club? Real Steel? Dodgeball?

It may be tough to find real Werewolves and Vampires for the Twilight show. You might want to put an ad on Craigslist.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I don't usually watch this kind of show but your Twilight: B__ got me with the werewolf transformation. I can dismiss Real Housewives and the Snookie crap. But a b-fest with a werewolf? No way.

Melissa Bradley said...

I love the idea of all of these. Especially the zombie mall game and the Twilight Bitches LOL

Pickleope said...

I want to see these shows. I would even participate in a couple like the Mall sounds fun, as does the possibility that I could be one of the people shooting paintballs. I would like to see a Predator show. Instead of an alien, it's just a dude really good at camouflage and if you can "tag" him before he tags you, you win a microwave of something.

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

brilliant.
just genius.
also, now i have that song in my head- AND I LOVE IT!

Kimberlee Turley said...

Don't watch much TV, but your ideas made me laugh.

Cassie Mae said...

Cast me! Well... not for The Mall. I wouldn't last a second into that show.

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Joshua! I am return'd. I avoided GAMER, but is it worth a look? I like the idea of RUNNING MAN on TV; I can genuinely see that working. As for Zombies in THE MALL? Well, to quite the latest CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS advert: "Groovy!" Indigo

Christine Rains said...

I laughed at the first one, but I see Running Man in our future. Or maybe something like "Ouch! My Balls!" from Idiocracy.