Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Young Jane

Since I'm writing this from my iPad, I can't do a lot of things because Blogger doesn't play well when composing via the iPad. It's all done in HTML coding rather than the composition editor, which makes typing this easy, but adding anything like images and links takes some manual HTML. Even line breaks reqre coding. Which I'm about to do now.

Normally, adding an image via the HTML editor of Blogger is an exercise in futility. So, I attempt it another way by using Photobucket.

By Ozias Humphrey (1742-1810) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
There was a piece in The Guardian on Friday about this portrait, believed to be Jane Austen around age 13. The article goes into more detail about how they came to this conclusion, but I have to say, if this is true, that's pretty damn cool.

And the direct link to The Guardian article about this new found image of Jane Austen can be found by clicking here.

Word to the Nerd

18 comments:

Jamie Gibbs said...

I like the picture, I'll have to check out the article.

I've had similar problems on the iPad. Blogger's official iPhone app makes things a little easier, and there's an app called Blogpress that makes things a little easier (you might have to buy that one, I can't remember if I did).

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

awww!!! she was so pretty!
and dude! way to html it out! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

One can see the resemblance!

aziasaidwhat said...

wow! that is so cool! thanks for sharing the picture and article!

Rick Gualtieri said...

They have an app for Blogger now. It's a PITA since blogger used to work just fine in the browser, but it seems to work.

Hazel said...

If that was her then was indeed very pretty :)

DEZMOND said...

I had vomiting attacks at University when I had to read her horrid books.... the most overrated English writers in history. I wouldn't even call her a writer.

Dr Max Tunguska said...

Always interesting how they work out that a picture is of who they say it is. Hard to even prove who painted it.

I use "IA writer" on my iPad for initial drafts. Pull it all across to Pages for poshing up, general proofing and further refinement and then use the BlogPress app for posting - I include any minor markup at this point and include images that I've downloaded and processed using Photoshop Touch. Complete process all on one iPad. Love it.

Using IA Writer I can tinker with my drafts on my iPhone and they're shared with my iPad. Can also do this with Pages but it's a little less easy.

Now all I need is to learn how to write. Dammit.

Morgan said...

This is TOO COOL.

The Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the link to the article. I'm interested in how they attributed it to her . . .

L.C. Frost said...

Aw, dear Jane. Thanks for the link and the pic! Way to rock it html style.

Mynx said...

iPad blogging can be challenging on word press too. I have an app that isn't too bad but it is still restricting when to comes to adding multiple photos.

I don't mind reading and commenting via the iPad. As long as I don't have to deal with captchas

Mandy_Fish said...

That minx.

Joshua said...

Jamie - It's a little infuriating.

vic - Word.

Alex - Very similar.

azia - You're welcome.

Rick - I'll stick to my laptop for composing.

Hazel - Indeed.

DEZZ - She's not for everyone.

Dr. Max - Laptop it is.

Morgan - Agreed!

Golden Eagle - Sounds tricky.

L.C. - It's how I do.

Mynx - Fuck CAPTCHA.

Mandy - Saucy.

Janie Junebug said...

Dang. I looked good.

Love,
Janie Austen

Joshua said...

Janie - Touche!

Kato said...

Since she is one of my favorite authors, I found this incredibly fascinating....thank you!

Joshua said...

Kato - Ain't no thang.