Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Top Five Tuesday: All Nighters

I haven't done a video game post in a while, so why not do one today? Good? Good.


The Premise

I had a friend in high school who was, dare I say, obsessed with David Letterman's "Top Ten" lists. So much so that he would share his own top ten lists over lunch periods. The subject matter of those lists is not retained in my long-term memory, no matter how good it is. However, I'm sure I could ask him since I still know how to contact him. Thank you, Blogger and Facebook. One day, as I was reading through the blogs that I follow, I saw that many of them have theme days. That's when I thought I would try my hand at my own theme day, and "Top Five Tuesday" was born. The only disclaimer is that these lists represent my own opinions and are subject to change whenever the hell I feel like it. Also, these lists are not in ranking order, unless specifically said.

I know some of you are not interested in video games, but keep the following titles in mind for those of your loved ones that do enjoy the occasional, intermittent, or unwashed video game-playing session.

Five Video Games I Am Anxiously Awaiting

1. Lego Lord of the Rings. Topping the list, the Lego LotR game. The charm of the Lego Harry Potter and Lego Star Wars games was the lack of dialogue from the minifigs, which made them make weird faces and sounds to get the point across. Not sure how adding dialog ripped directly from the LotR films will impact the experience, but it's certainly not going to stop me from playing it as soon as I can. For those interested, here's the link to the Lego LotR video game page to watch the trailer. Worth it.

2. ZombiU. A first-person shooter zombie game? Sign me up. Oh, I'll have to buy a new console to play it? I'm sold. (This game reminds me of Jamie at Mithril Wisdom and his Zombie Fitness posts. Go pay him a visit, would you please?)

3. Hitman: Absolution. I've only ever played one installment of this series, but there's just something about Agent 47. Quite honestly, I enjoyed the Hitman film they did a few years ago, but mostly because Timothy Olyphant is brilliant.

4. Fable: The Journey. I know a lot of people were disappointed with both Fable II and Fable III. I would count myself in that category for the third installment, but number two came out all right.* The problem is that Peter Molyneux has a tendency to promise the moon and give you a space station. That is to say, the concept is breathtaking in scale, but the finished product feels rushed and some awesome things left out. Regardless, I'm hopeful that The Journey can steer the series back to glory.

5. The Witness. From the creators of the amazing puzzle game Braid comes this new arcade-style puzzle game. From what little I've seen of it, the game sounds a lot like Myst in terms of the "puzzle game exploring on an uninhabited island" genre.


There you have it, folks. But that last entry reminds me that I've always wanted to play another Myst-style game. I played Myst and Riven, and loved them both. Myst III: Exile was a decent one, too. I remember trying to play Uru when it first came out, but I didn't have a computer that could handle the graphics. And then I never played Myst IV or V. I might need to change that some day.

*Gross, purposeful humor. HA!

Word to the Nerd

37 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I allowed it, both Skyrim and Diablo III could be all-nighters.

Kristen Wixted said...

Lego Lord of the Rings game?
Perfect Christmas present for hubs.

Paige Kellerman said...

The zombie one sounds like fun. I'm always a big fan of those. You should have seen Husband try to teach me how to play Resident Evil though...umm I was not impressive. That happens when you point the camera at yourself the whole time.

Joshua said...

Alex - I have not attempted Skyrim yet, mostly because I know I'd become addicted and fall behind again.

Kristen - For me, too. If you're buying.

Paige - Dad used to try to play Halo with me when they came to visit. It invariably ended with me up high on a perch, a sniper rifle scoped in on him, and his character spinning in circles in a desperate attempt to not be shot in the head. He never won.

Morgan said...

I love the asterisk at the end! LOL. ;)

Joshua said...

Morgan - I was waiting for someone to pick up on that. ;o)

Laura said...

Lego Lord of the Rings! Wow had no idea that was coming out, I'll have to give that a try!

Joshua said...

Laura - It's going to be great. At least, I really hope so.

J. A. Bennett said...

The Witness sounds really good. I love puzzle games!

Joshua said...

J.A. - As far as puzzle games go, my favorites -- aside from the MYST games -- would be Alundra 2 for the original Playstation, and Landstalker on the Sega Genesis.

Angelia Sims Hardy said...

I guess I need to brush up on my video game knowledge. The only games I am familiar with is EVE. My husband plays that every night.

Joshua said...

Angelia - I'm not big on online gaming, but each to their own.

Matthew MacNish said...

1) Yes.

2) Never heard of it.

3) Yes.

4) Meh.

5) No.

Joshua said...

Matthew - That is exactly the reaction I expected. Did you ever play the original Fable? It was good, but the series suffered with 2, and 3 was just stupid.

Pearl said...

Don't play any games, although I have half-way through the second Game of Thrones book, so that probably counts for something, right?

:-)

Pearl

Joshua said...

Pearl - Absolutely counts.

Annika said...

Ooooo, games....

I'll agree with Hitman. The rest, not interested ~ however, that ZombiU reminds me of Dead Island (which I like very much). Won't be able to buy new devices to play on, that's why it's a no...

Argh, this fall is going to be expensive with all new cool games coming up. I'm saving by poor money for MoH: Warfighter though. And it better be goooood.... Otherwise I'll get really disappointed I didn't buy another game.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Thanks for the shoutout! I can't wait for Lego LotR, it's gonna be awesome! My only concern is that they've got dialogue in the game now - part of the charm of the lego games was that the gags were visual, but we'll wait and see.

Pickleope said...

Oh to have time for video games...and the dexterity to handle more than the joystick and single button. I tell myself it's the time thing, but that's just to make me feel better about being terrified of the gazillion buttons on controllers.

Joshua said...

Annika - Hitman should be good. I'm going to save up for the WiiU. Why not, eh?

Jamie - Exactly. The visual gags are great. I'm wondering if they just did the dialog for the trailer, and the game will be the same? Sounds like not, though.

Joshua said...

Pickleope - Practice, practice, practice.

Cherie Reich said...

The Lego Lord of the Rings game and ZombiU sound like a lot of fun.

Joshua said...

Cherie - I'm probably more excited about them than I should be.

Christine Rains said...

Hopefully the new Fable game will be good. I wasn't a fan of II and III. My husband loves the Lego games. Another to add to his list to play. He got Skyrim for his birthday and still hasn't had time to play it yet.

Ciara said...

My kids are going nuts waiting for Lego Lord of the Rings. They are so excited.

DEZMOND said...

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I only played one game in my life (AGE OF EMPIRES, I liked building cities) I just don't have time.... :(

Juli said...

Video games.. if it's not Ms. PAC man, I got nothing.

I do have a totally different question though, but I can't find your email...

Cassie Mae said...

Wait, so the Lego LOTR characters are going to be talking? :( It still won't stop me from buying it, but I would've loved to hear grunting Legolas. I picture a pretty high pitched and musical grunt.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I'm still getting into the whole gaming thing (I was, unfortunately, not introduced to it until very recently). I really liked Fables though, so I may need to check out this latest one. And I'm ALWAYS up for killing some zombies...

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Ooh, Lego LOTR - I didn't know about that one. I might have to give that one a go. :D

Samantha said...

I suck...I've never played any of these games.

Mark Koopmans said...

Aloha Joshua,

Just popping by to say Cheers for signing up to do our "What If?" Blogfest... it should be quite the fiesta :)

Stephen Tremp said...

I don't play video games as I'm just too busy. We have a Wii and I recently learned how to play Mario Brothers. DOes that count?

Anna Smith said...

I fell in love with Timothy Olyphant in that movie. I don't even own a console, I know so lame, but I will one day, I'd probably never leave the house though! :)

Sarah Ahiers said...

I'm right with you for Fable. Even though i was disappointed by the endings of II and III, i still really enjoy playing them up to that point.
Otherwise, i'm anxiously awaiting Halo 4, Assassin's Creed III and The Last of Us.

Joshua said...

Christine - I enjoyed Fable II, but they screwed up the interface in III.

Ciara - Me, too!!!

DEZZ - Age of Empires is a great game. Keep playing!

Juli - I'm researching your question.

Cassie - I hope the talking was just the trailer for it. Please?!

S.L. - Zombies would be the only way I would consider playing online with other gamers.

Jaycee - Yes, you will! :oD

Samantha - You would enjoy the Leog games. Bree probably would enjoy the Lego HP games, for sure. My kids like watching it and pretending to play.

Mark - I'm just hoping I can think of something between now and then.

Stephen - Absolutely it counts.

Anna - I always say the Xbox 360 or PS3 for people to get. The Wii is...okay.

Sarah - I forgot about The Last of Us. That one should be great, too. As far as Fable goes, they're adding an arcade style Fable game, too. Sometime this year.

Kato said...

The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Watch Dogs, Tombraider, and The Last Guardian. If it ever comes out.