Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The End Is Nigh

No, this isn't a post about Watchmen.

Sadly, it's also not about part three of the Three Colors Cornetto Trilogy by Edgar Wright with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, The World's End. (Though I really wish it was about that.)

Today is the last of the crazy ass busy days at work. Not that tomorrow and Friday won't be insane as well, but I'll have a little more freedom. All in all, it's been a great week meeting with this consultant. Long days, but a lot of progress made. He also reminds me of a slightly heavier "Ted Mosby."


It's been all I can stand not to giggle every time this thought crosses my brain.

And because it's been such a crazy couple of weeks, I have no new writing to share with you today. It's also been a week of utter frustration with computers. I upgraded my Office 2000 to Office 2010 on Sunday (through an awesome deal at work) and that's when disaster struck.

I'm currently editing a manuscript for someone, and I'm about half way through it. Well, I was about half way done. Both copies of the file won't work with this version of Word. I've tried other files, and they convert just fine. There's just something about this one file—both copies of said file—that Word just doesn't like. I've tried many things, including reinstalling Office 2000, but now the file won't open there. I tried in on Office 2007 on my work computer, also without luck. I downloaded the original file from my email, and that one works just great. Apparently it's okay to use two versions of Word when editing one document, but when you add a third, Word no likey.

All that to say, I have to start over on my notes. This sucks, for sure, but it's not terrible. I make notes as I go, but I always go through a second time to make sure the notes I made aren't going to be detrimental based on what I previously didn't know was going to happen. If that makes any sense at all.

So, yes, I lost a ton of work, but it's not the end of the world.

This is the end of the world.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Word to the Nerd

19 comments:

Annika said...

Good to see you

Don't Panic.

Eolist Petite said...

ouch! been there with Word. even where technology is concerned nobody can get along...

love the sheep/ship photo. how awesome would that be!?

Matthew MacNish said...

42.

Also, at least you have the original. You could always copy into a simple text editor, and then create a new doc. You'd have to fix all the formatting, which would suck heavily, but it would be so much better than starting over.

Pickleope said...

It would make things more palatable if the error message was "Word no likey."
Glad that you're coming to the end of the madness.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you lost some work due to flakey Word.
And the answer is 42.

Padded Cell Princess said...

That is the type of scenario that would have me pounding my fists on the floor, bawling out, "Why God, why???" and then insist that Branden should fix it and CAN fix it because he's smart and should be able to. I'm glad you are handling it better ;)

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

awww man. that sucks! a lot.
you should tell moseby that working with him has been lengen... wait for it... dary. and see if he knows what you're talking about.

Paige Kellerman said...

I really wish it was about the trilogy too...especially since I just watched Shaun of the Dead again, but at least it's not the end of the world yest, and I still have time to finish my manuscript...I hope.

Elisa Hirsch said...

I'm so sorry about the editing setbacks. That is so hard and I bet stressful for you. I hope everything will go easier from here on out. ;)

Anna Smith said...

Haha you should do what vic says, and take a pic :P

Sarah Ahiers said...

Aw man!! I'm totally jealous that your crazy work is coming to an end. I'm just crossing my fingers that mine ends at the end of summer.
Gah, my job stinks right now.
And super BOO on losing all those notes! I would totally freak out. And then probably binge eat

Indigo Roth said...

Gagh! HULK SMASH!

DEZMOND said...

oh, Office problems give me headaches! Mine own Office started forgetting my passwords and I hate writing them in every time on all sites...

Janie Junebug said...

I like it that you admit to wanting to giggle when you look at the consultant. Real men giggle.

Love,
Janie Junebug

Juli said...

So if I ever decide to write a book I should do it in Word? Seriously, for someone who writes all the time, I know I sound like an idiot...

I worked my day off this week. The weekend was spent at multiple parties, working, and random cookouts with melting down children... so yeah, one could say I'm WAY behind on things here. But you know... the mail must go through.... even when it's 98 degrees out.

DWei said...

Wasn't there a person with a fatal illness who managed to get an early copy of the book from the author? Was something on Reddit about that the other day.

Also, obligatory "Don't Panic".

Jaleh D said...

I used to have problems with conversions back in college because my roommate's computer had Works and the school computers (with the printers) had Word. Really annoying. I prefer Scrivener over either of them, even though eventually I will have to export to Word or something else for formatting and submissions.

Sure can understand how frustrating it would be to start over on editing notes. Hope you have a good weekend.

Joshua said...

Thank you, all, for your comments. I'm finally caught up, at least just a little.

Kato said...

There is nothing worse than technology bullshit. For real. It's the one thing that makes me go from zero to batshit in no time.

Hope all is well with you!

Love the Hitchhiker's Guide!