Friday, June 29, 2012

Do I Watch Too Much?

The other night, a friend had one of those "I took a quiz" type messages posted on her Facebook feed, which means that it popped up on my news feed. Normally I ignore these things outright, or tell Facebook to hide them completely. Except this one was about movies. Now, I'm hesitant about clicking that kind of thing on most people's feeds, so I Googled the movie quiz concept. There it was, a shining beacon of a list.

Now, before we get going, I actually hate these kinds of lists. They all have titles like "100 Movies to See Before You Die: The Modern Classics" or "100 Movies to See Before You Die: The All-Time Greats." I don't remember what the title of this one was, but I went away from Facebook to take it.

The real reason I wanted to look at the list, though, is because the note she tagged with the quiz post was that she had only see 41 of the 100 movies. Naturally curious, because I love the movies, I went through the list. I scored 82 out of 100. My first thought was, "Damn. Only 82?" Followed quickly by, "Damn I've seen a lot of movies."

Truth is, the list was all over the place. Casablanca and Children of Men. Raging Bull and Sideways. House of Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and 13 Assassins. Yet there was no 2001: A Space Odyssey or Enter the Dragon or Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Sadly, only 2 of the 18 films I haven't seen are available on Netflix Instant. I didn't check Comcast On-Demand yet, so maybe that will take a few more off the list. Otherwise, it's time to scour the Internet for them.

*Update: Since drafting this post, I finally watched Gosford Park, as it was on Netflix and was one of the 18 unseen. Truth? It wasn't as good as I was led to believe. Certainly not better than M*A*S*H as critics claimed.

Word to the Nerd

21 comments:

Pickleope said...

Gosford Park better than MASH? That's the problem with lists, human discretion. I, like you, am conflicted about this. I feel like I watch too much garbage, but then, when I see I've missed something, am compelled to watch it.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Glad you enjoyed GP>

Joshua said...

Pickleope - Exactly the problems with these "100" lists. Someone's favorite movies that they think you should watch.

Lass - It was all right. And apparently the predecessor to Downtown Abbey. Not sure I want to watch that show now.

Scope said...

Hopefully "The Last Dragon" was on the list. That movie should be on many of those lists.

But isn't.

DEZMOND said...

it's interesting that although I own an influential movie site :))))) I haven't seen a lot of the so called classics!

Sarah Ahiers said...

weirdly, i just wrote a short story with M*A*S*H references.
I'm intersted in hearing the 18, now 17, movies you HAVEN'T seen.
Did you watch G4's top 100 video games? It was a pretty good list, though i had my beefs. It definitely made me want to play more video games (which is not really a bad thing...?)

Eva said...

I don't know... I'm a big movie and tv watcher. I like to think it keeps my brain active and creative and young. No matter how silly the movie, I end up learning something, even if it is just the new teen lingo or how to open a van door lock with a tennis ball. Congrats on the 82!

Morgan said...

I would've been lucky to get one answer right :P

Unless the show/movie has Hugh Laurie in it, I probably haven't seen it, LOL. *celebrity crush*

Henri B. said...

I'm embarrassed that I needed a second look at the Sonic pic to get it.

I like the movie lists a lot better than the *100 classic books you should've read by now* lists. The movie lists feel like a challenge but I don't think I'll ever get to read all the books I want to read.

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

yes.

Emily White said...

Was Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on the list? If not, then the list is bogus. :P

Johanna Garth said...

I think The Last Seduction might just be one of my favorite movies. Have you seen it?

Matthew MacNish said...

Hmm. I love movies. I wonder how many (total) I've seen.

Annika said...

Since you've only seen 82 of the 100 movies ~ you apparently don't watch enough of them ;).

Those lists are subjective though. Always wonder who the hell decides which 100 are such a "must" to see. I've seen loads of classic movies (due to the filmclasses at university), and many of them are crap. But you watch them because they've been groundbreaking for their era.

But that doesn't mean they're good. It was just the technique that made them stand out.

I don't read those "100" - do this, watch that, read those. Don't see the point really. Just makes me a bigger loser for not having done all that's so important. And that I can be without.

Cassie Mae said...

Gasp! FB lets your friends know what kind of quizzes you take? Yikes! From now on all be taking all those embarrassing things on a different source as well.

Indigo Roth said...

Loved the picture! I'm a total film nerd, but there are surprising gaps in my knowledge. You have inspired me to watch MORE, damn you! And heh, screwdriver.

Juli said...

I am not a huge movie fan, although if it involves a cartoon or a superhero, it's likely to have been viewed (or at least attempted and slept through) at my house. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

No 2001? Travesty. :P

Mina Lobo said...

I'm not sure how a comparison of Gosford Park and M*A*S*H works, as the subject matter's so very different. Very, very different! Quelle weird.
Some Dark Romantic

Ciara said...

I've never seen some of these, but these lists make me think of Oprah's book club. A lot of hype and a big disappointment. Although, many of those are famous and I'd like to see them. I did like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Fast Times, and Casablanca, so maybe this is a safe list. :)

Kato said...

I love movies. Just not going to the theater. I wish I liked it more!