Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wordy Wednesday : "Lightning Flashed"

Today is the 2nd Annual Flash Fiction Blogfest. The brief.

Click the image to view the entire linky list of entries.
Here are the rules:
1. Entries must begin with the two words: Lightning flashed.(Check)
2. Entries must be 300 words or less and be in prose. I'm not versed enough in poetry verse to judge it properly. (272, Check)
3. Entries must be posted on your blog between May 21 - 23. (Check)
4. You must sign up in the linky below to have your entry be counted. (Check)

And here is my entry.

~~~~~


Lightning flashed.

Again.

"Are you almost done?"

"It doesn't work like that," I whispered back.

"What if they see us?"

"Just one more minute, Cal."

I could feel Cal's nervous energy even though he wasn't moving. Truth was I knew he'd started using again, but he was the best. Well…the best available on such short notice.

"Let me magicks the lock and get out of the light."

"No," I said, giving him a sharp look. "They'll have sensors for that. We need stealth."

"So? I'll magicks the sensors, too."

"Right, because you know exactly how to do that in the split second between seeing it and it goes off? I'll have it open in a second. You're here just in case."

"In case of what?"

"Insurance."

The lock finally clicked and the soft hiss told me I'd successfully bypassed the window's sensor. Swinging the mottled window open, I peered into the dark room.

"Finally," Cal whispered into my ear. "I thought you were losing your touch."

We slipped through the opening, hugging the wall of a large library.

"You know, I was supposed to be on a date with Galea tonight."

"I know."

"Is that why you wanted me to come with you?"

Another flash of lightning illuminated the room for a second.

Cal's soft voice was next to me. "Did you see—"

"LIGHTS!" A voice shouted from the darkness.

In an instant, the room was flooded with a blinding light that forced me to cover my eyes. When I opened them, twenty Imperial Guards had their weapons drawn.

Cal was smug when he spoke again. "Can I use magicks now?"

Word to the Nerd

30 comments:

Anna Smith said...

Haha, zap them all to death! :)

Pickleope said...

The ending is great. Best of luck to you in the contest. I'm going to magicks my work email to erase all the stupidity.

aziasaidwhat said...

LOVE THIS! Great entry :)

Sarah Ahiers said...

This was awesome! I would totally keep reading this if it were longer. hint hint

Laura said...

Ooh this is great! It raises so many questions: What are they doing? What's going to happen next? Good job :)

Cherie Reich said...

Thank you for entering my 2nd Annual Flash Fiction Blogfest! The six finalists will be announced on Friday, May 25th. I will further comment on your entry on Thursday.

Paige Kellerman said...

Wow, that was really good! Your use of dialogue was awesome.

Joshua said...

Anna - Maybe... :o)

Pickleope - I need to magicks a lot of things.

azia - Why thank you.

Sarah - Hint received.

Laura - Interesting questions. It's locked up in my head.

Cherie - Understood.

Paige - It was the easiest way to move it forward in such a short limit.

Shelley Sly said...

This was such a fun read and a great use of the prompt! I enjoyed it. :D

Cassie Mae said...

I still laugh at that last line. :)

BTW, for a second I thought you had weaved 'Word to the Nerd' at the end of it. I was like, how ingenious! (Even though it doesn't really make sense)

Oh boy, it's too early...

fishducky said...

I want MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johanna Garth said...

This totally sucked me in! Want more please!! :)

Elana Johnson said...

I'm with Cal. Use the magicks! :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Yes, this!

DEZMOND said...

magic is also a verb? I didn't know that before. I like it.

Jenny Morris said...

Nice!!!!!!

Christine Rains said...

Awesome flash piece! Yes, use magicks now! Hehehe!

Kato said...

Your story bits are always so intriguing and I hate that they are only bits! I want more!

The Golden Eagle said...

Great flash fiction! I like how it's so dialogue-driven.

mshatch said...

great ending :)

Scope said...

Lightening flashed.

The 3 waitresses walking home after their shift screamed.

Then Lightening closed his trench coat and ran down the alley, giggling to himself.

Mina Lobo said...

This is a brilliantly written scene; perfect pacing, dramatic tension, wisecracking sidekick (I'm guessing he's a type of sidekick). It arouses a hunger for knowing what's this all about and what's going to happen next? Well done.
Some Dark Romantic

T said...

I am utterly impressed with what you were able to pack into less than 300 words! I completely agree with what some of the other commenters said: your dialogue is great. However, what I loved the most was the fact that you were able to give Cal and the main character a back story so effectively. I don't just want to know what happens next, but I want to know the history between these two!

sjp said...

Great characters developed in so few words, loved the different take and would definitely tune in for more

Jamie Gibbs said...

I love the humour in this. I want to see some magicks!

Cherie Reich said...

Yes, Cal, I think you can use magicks now. *grins* Great ending! I do want to know more about why they are breaking in.

I'll announce the finalists tomorrow.

Chris Fries said...

Great dialogue and smooth insertion of elements that imply intriguing story questions: "he'd started using again", the sensors, the Imperial Guard, etc.

I'm curious as heck to know what they're trying to steal, or do, inside a library, and why the guard has it so well defended.

Joshua said...

Shelley - Thank you!

Cassie - Well, I had room to do it, but no, it wasn't part of it.

fishducky - Success.

Johanna - Maybe someday. We'll see. Other things higher in line. I'll keep it in mind, though.

Elana - Me, too!

Matthew - This, yes!

DEZZ - Many thanks, sir.

Jenny - Thank you.

Christine - What should he use, though?

Kato - I know, lady. You always want more.

Golden Eagle - Thank you, thank you.

mshatch - Thank you.

Scope - I think we have a winner here. Nicely done, and so succinct.

Mina - Sidekick, indeed.

T - Oh, there's a history to be sure.

sjp - Thanks!

Jamie - Seeing would be great.

Cherie - Can't wait for that list. Great flash fic contest.

Chris - They went in through the library thinking it would be the least guarded room. Unfortunately...

Mina Lobo said...

Hey, Joshua - thou hast been tagged with the Lucky 7 Meme! Click here to read all about it! :-)

Joshua said...

Mina - Thank you. Here's mine.