Monday, May 7, 2012

A-to-Z Reflections

Today is supposed to be the day we reflect on April's A-to-Z Challenge.

What is there to say that I haven't said already?

Was it a success? For me, definitely so. I had all my posts up ahead of time, and added simple tweaks the mornings of. No complaints there. And just so Sundays wouldn't feel left out, I posted on them, too. We like to be all-inclusive up in this joint.

Did I visit everyone on the list? No, I did not. Will I? Tough to say. Time is a precious commodity, so it would probably take me until next April to visit everyone. Including those blogs I followed before the challenge, I think I managed to make about 200 A-to-Z posts per day, give or take. Speed reading comes in handy.

That said, I did meet some new-to-me blogs, and some absolutely amazing new bloggers. Typically when I add a new blog to my Reader, they start off in the "Unsures" folder until I can decided whether they should be categorized or dropped off. I know that sounds harsh, but I have about 300 or so blogs in my reader already, many of which update every day. Time is limited, time is finite, and I have to draw the line somewhere. However, the 30 or so new blogs I added to my Reader did so by bypassing the "Unsures" folder, and being placed in folders called "Writers," "Keepers," "The Funnies," or "Nerd Stuff." Those are only 4 of the 12 folders I use for categorizing posts (and you now know 5 of them if you count the "Unsures" folder).


I also added 42 new blog followers over the course of the month, and if I had to choose a number to add, that is the greatest one of them all.


Overall, it was a great month, and I'm already prepping a list for next April, just in case I need to acquire a few more items over the next 10 months.

Now for the thing.

Since I picked up those new followers, I thought I'd open up for another Q&A session. It's a little sooner than I thought I would be doing another one of these, but what the hell, right? So, ask your questions this week, and I'll answer them on Friday (or Thursday and Friday depending on how many questions are asked).


Previous Questions & Answers can be seen here: I Have Your Answers Part 1, I Have Your Answers Part 2, and That Was Not Sparta, But This Is.


And now, this.


Take away the cars, road, trees, and light poles and radio tower, and add a second sun, you'd have Tatooine. Hmm...it looked more yellow sky in real life. Regardless...

Oh...and this was the temperature one day early last week.


So, if you were thinking about smothering me with a pillow, now would be the time before I burst in to flames while walking to my car.

*License: I took these pictures.

Word to the Nerd

31 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, way too hot for May! Well, actually not, I just don't like it that hot.
You had an awesome theme. And funny you have a Google Reader folder called 'unsure.' My new followers go into a similar folder until I see what they do.
Hope you'll do the Challenge next year!

Padded Cell Princess said...

I didn't realize you could categorize your blog reads like that. That is brilliant and actually your system would be really handy! I don't have anything like 300 blogs to reads and despite also not having a job, I still find it hard to get my blog reads in. Although, if I got up at some ungodly hour of the morning like you do, I probably would have more time...although my comments would be impossible comprehend!

Matthew MacNish said...

I really ought to organize my reader. I used the Blogger dashboard to follow blog for so long, but then it broke, so now I don't have much choice.

DEZMOND said...

wowzer, that is a huge number of new followers. I don't think I had so many in the whole year :)))

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I can't believe you've started prepping for next year! Jaysus!

Pickleope said...

It's tough to keep up. I have my definitely reads, what's the subject, and lost interest so I'll check in now and then folders.
As for questions, it's tough to think of something you haven't been asked yet.
If you could have a working lightsaber, would you keep it in your house? (You being a father, it's kind of like having a loaded gun in a drawer.)
If you could choose between a one story three bedroom house with an average sized yard or a Tardis house with no yard but massive acreage inside, which would you go for?

S. L. Hennessy said...

42 is a terrific number of new blogs. And the meaning to life, the universe and everything.

fishducky said...

I seldom "follow" a new blog because it becomes so time consuming--right now I only have 30 or so. I love the ones I DO follow. I can't imagime having as many as you do! Do you have to schedule BREATHING into your day?

Annika said...

Wow, 42 new followers? Awesome!

I really enjoyed your challenge, you did a good job with that one.

Great pics, I always enjoy seeing what other people find interesting enough to take pictures of.

Jay Noel said...

Man, my reader is a big mess. I need to take some lessons from you.

It was nearly 100 here yesterday...too hot for St. Louis in early May.

80 is perfect. What the heck happened to spring???

Samantha said...

That last sentence...made me giggle...which it shouldn't have, b/c it would totally suck if you actually burst into flames while walking to your car...but it's the principal of it all I guess :)

Minxy said...

How do I get this Reader you speak of? I've been using the Blogger dashboard, but it stinks and I'm dying to find something better!!! And I've heard good things about this Google Reader, but how do I get it? Is it yet ANOTHER thing I must log into every day? Boo.

Christine Rains said...

It's been that hot here too. Awful. I'm not a hot weather kind of gal. I hope this doesn't mean we're in for a killer summer! Like you, I didn't have enough time to see all the blogs participating in the Challenge, but I did meet a bunch of new folk. Good times.

Cassie Mae said...

Oh I have wonky names for my folders, but they make me giggle when I see them, so I keep them that way. :D

I'm trying to think of a question I haven't asked you before. Hmm...

Yeah, can't come up with anything.

Hope Roberson said...

90? That would be nice for a day or two :) We're just hoping to break 60 way over here in Washington. It's been wet and chilly, blucky!

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I need to learn how to get organized like that. It just takes so much time.

Did I make one of the folders? B/c if I did, that would be just ducky! :D

The Golden Eagle said...

I do the same. If I find a new blog, in it goes to a general folder until I read more posts and can categorize it.

Juli said...

I picked up about 20. Which is just fine for me. I also didn't add anyone though unless I was sure they were someone I would read regularly. It does get overwhelming if you miss a couple of days.

Scope said...

Here's a few questions:
1) Do you follow the sports teams of your youth, or the ones in your new city?

2) If it were allowed, would you telecommute 1 day a week? 2 days? 5 days? Or do you need the human interaction?

3) If it saved you 10% on every purchase, would you make every purchase (even vending machines) with a credit card that posted details of all your purchase to the internet? 25%? 50%?

4) On your walk around the neighborhood, you see a pinata hanging from a tree in the parkway. Upon a closer look, it's the spitting image of Paris Hilton. Nobody's looking, do you give it a whack!

Mina Lobo said...

Dude, you managed to make 200 A to Z comments per day?! Lawdhammersy!

Some Dark Romantic

Jamie Gibbs said...

One thing I keep meaning to do is sorting my RSS feed into folders to make things easier to use. Maybe that'll be my weekend project in between swearing at my broken laptop and playing 5 minutes of minecraft before the hard drive fails.

FRANNIE said...

Categories? Dude, if you didn't have nerd status before you certainly have it now. *nerds united*

I agree with the lack of time to read. If I tried to keep up with my Reader I wouldn't have time to do anything else. I always have my go to blogs and even if I don't have time to comment on everything I'm always reading. :)

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

ooo-kay!
the obvious question after reading the post:
what are the names of the other ummmm seven folders?

Joshua said...

Alex - I'm pretty sure I will do the challenge again. Which is why I'm preparing for it now.

Princess - Hell, if I didn't have a job, I'd probably be reading books instead of blogs, but that's just me.

Matthew - I've found Reader, and my categorizing system, have made blog reading faster. A big plus. Even when I get three days behind. Stupid weekends.

DEZ - You also have a whole lot more than I do.

Lass - I'm crazy stupid like that.

Pickleope - Excellent questions. Thanks!

S.L. - A truly amazing number.

fishducky - Sometimes...yes.

Annika - I wish I had time to stop and take pictures, but with kids, that's kind of hard to do.

Jay - 60 is perfect. Anything over 70 and I get the grumps.

Samantha - I would be viral on YouTube if that happened.

Minxy - I emailed you.

Christine - I wonder if this will be 1977 all over again with those temps.

Cassie - Well boo.

Hope - 60 sounds heavenly.

Jaycee - :oD

Golden Eagle - It's a system that works. And unlike Google and Facebook, if the system isn't broke, I don't change it.

Juli - Seriously overwhelming. Almost crippling.

Scope - So hard to not answer these questions right now. Fantastic ones.

Jamie - Buy a new computer first.

Frannie - NERD POWER!!!

vic - You would ask that.

Cherie Reich said...

90 really is too hot for May.

And you're awesome with your Reader organization. I started to organize my list but soon stopped. I might have to start up again. :)

Joshua said...

Cherie - 90 is too hot for...whenever.

DayDreamer said...

I've just found your blog from the reflections list and have already learned a few things, namely that reader thing everyone else is impressed with.
Question - what decade of music since the '50s would be your preferred listening choice?

Deniz Bevan said...

This challenge was lots of fun. I wonder if I'd ever make it around to ALL the blogs??

Joshua said...

DayDreamer - Thanks for your question. It will be answered tomorrow (Friday) for sure. Already wrote it.

Deniz - I know I won't. I'll try some more, but never all of them.

EvalinaMaria said...

Congratulation on finishing the challenge. During the challenge I didn't visit as many blogs as I would like to but, cross my heart, I'm visiting every single one with the reflection post! I am so glad my journey brought me here.

Evalina, This and that...

Joshua said...

Evalina - I didn't visit as many as I wanted to either. Damn real life.