Friday, May 11, 2012

Inquiry Response

The quick setup so we don't waste time, since the final question asked will take a bit. Truth be told, this was the first post I've ever cut stuff out of because I thought it was getting too long. It was the last question that did it, so I hope you stay to the end.

During my A-to-Z Challenge recap on Monday, I allowed for the opportunity to ask questions. There were some really good ones, and here come the answers.

Pickleope was the first to rise to the occasion, and did so with two questions.


1. "If you could have a working lightsaber, would you keep it in your house? (You being a father, it's kind of like having a loaded gun in a drawer.)"
If I had one, I'd want some sort of biometric fail safe on it, so that it would only work in my hands. Possibly some other kind of fail safe similar to the one Blade had on his sword. As for keeping it in the house, it would be on my person at all times, but if kids are around, it gets up high and hidden just in case.
2. "If you could choose between a one story three bedroom house with an average sized yard or a TARDIS house with no yard but massive acreage inside, which would you go for?"
Have I taught you nothing? The TARDIS wins hands down. Several reasons including indoor pool room, massive amounts of storage so I'm assuming one of those rooms is a library, plenty of room for all sorts of imaginable things, and with the TARDIS, the world is your backyard—plural worlds really, so plenty of room and options to stop for a play in the park, or a play in a park in Versailles, or freeing the human race from the robot overlords of Chiron Beta Prime. Considering it's a time machine, you could do all that and still make it to work on time.
Scope always asks the greatest questions.

1. "Do you follow the sports teams of your youth, or the ones in your new city?"
GO CUBS! They are, and will always be, the only team I follow religiously. I've never been a big fan of football, but I do like the Bears because they are who I grew up watching. In general, I'm not a sports nut, but I like hockey no matter who is playing, tennis, and soccer. No specific teams or players, though.
2. "If it were allowed, would you telecommute 1 day a week? 2 days? 5 days? Or do you need the human interaction?"
If offered any of those options, I would take them. I do not require the face-to-face, in-the-same-building human interaction to function. To be honest, I get more done for work when I stay home sick or with a sick child because even while taking care of myself of the sick one in the house, there are infinitely less interruptions.
3. "If it saved you 10% on every purchase, would you make every purchase (even vending machines) with a credit card that posted details of all your purchase to the internet? 25%? 50%?"
I don't know where you come up with these, but this is great. Maybe not 10%, but I would do it for 25%. Nothing scandalous or embarrassing to be purchased, so I wouldn't be worried about it at all.
4. "On your walk around the neighborhood, you see a pinata hanging from a tree in the parkway. Upon a closer look, it's the spitting image of Paris Hilton. Nobody's looking, do you give it a whack!"
Yes. Candy!

Miss Vic wanted to know what the folders were. At the time, I said there were 12. Since then, one of the folders was removed.


Don't ask what folder you're in. I won't tell you.

Daydreamer asked a music question that I can honestly say I've never been asked before.

"What decade of music since the '50s would be your preferred listening choice?"
You know, it's a lot tougher question to answer than I first thought. I'm not a going to concerts kind of person. I enjoy music by myself, and not in a huge concert venue or bar. That said, I've been to a few, just not in the last several years. What I thought I would do is go through each decade since and highlight a few of my favorites.

1950's : Ray Charles with "I Got a Woman," Chuck Berry with "Johnny B. Goode," and Johnny Cash with "Walk the Line." Round it out with some Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, Drifters, and Billy Haley & His Comets.

1960's : Temptations with "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," Otis Redding with "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay," and Sam Cooke with "A Change is Gonna Come." Add some Creedence, Percy Sledge, Steppenwolf, and keep Ray Charles around.

1970's : Bog Seger with "Night Moves," Temptations make another appearance with "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone," Elton John with "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters," Billy Joel with "Piano Man," Blue Oyster Cult with "(Don't Fear) The Reaper," and Aerosmith with "Dream On." What decade would be complete without some Sex Pistols, The Knack, The Clash, and The Police?

1980's : Guns 'N Roses with "Sweet Child of Mine," Huey Lewis & The News with "The Power of Love," Queen, Starship, Poison, Twisted Sister, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Styx, David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Journey, Asia, REO, the Elton John catalog...I could go on and on...

1990's : Radiohead with "Paranoid Android," Warren G (feat. Nate Dogg) with "Regulate," The Verve with "Bittersweet Symphony," The Verve Pipe with "Freshman," Dave Matthews Band with "Crash Into Me," Beastie Boys with "Sabotage," Counting Crows with the entire "August and Everything After" album. Let us also not forget Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Cranberries, Alanis Morissette, Third Eye Blind, Barenaked Ladies, and the Goo Goo Dolls. Too many more to name!

2000's : Counting Crows cover of "Big Yellow Taxi," The Killers with "Mr. Brightside," RHCP with "Snow," and Weird Al with my theme song "White and Nerdy."

My taste is whatever I think is good. That said, I'm sure you can tell from the lists that the 70's, 80's, and 90's really get me. The 60's, too, for that matter. Not so much the 00's, though. Cutting off at the 50's was a good idea, but it left out my all-time favorite song "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" by The Ink Spots from 1941, as well as similar sounds from the 1930's and 1940's.

Last Word: This will be the last one of these I do for a while. I didn't intended to do two so close together, but I thought it would be nice for the new followers from the A-to-Z. If a question comes up that you would like me to answer, feel free to submit it in a comment or email it to me, and we'll see what I can do.

Have great weekends, all.

*License: I made this image.

Word to the Nerd

34 comments:

Eva said...

August and Everything After defined a year of my life. I love that album.

Regarding the Paris pinata, where is the candy coming from though??? You did see that South Park episode, right? One word: Ew.

I love your Q&As. I should do some at some point. Maybe I will on my memoir blog since people over there probably have some weird questions for me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Weird Al - funny!
You must be a die hard fan to say the Cubs. Some day they will win again.
And safe bet my blog is NOT in the writing tips category...

Ciara said...

These are awesome questions. :) I loved Twisted Sister in the 80's. LOL I'd need the acreage, because I love the outdoors, but I'd like that amazing house you spoke of on it. I don't want much. :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Hmm, I have been trying to figure out how I wanted to organize my folders in reader - these gave me some great ideas.

And when I have more time, I'm coming back to think about your music choices again.

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

i KNOW which folder i'm in! :)
unupdated FTW!!!!!
(see, i don't even need to ask)

but
But
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i KNEW there was a reason you were soooo awesome.
hey chicago, whatdya' say!?!?!?!?
all of my son's have a name from a chicago cub (two are middle names).

you've always proven yourself to be a man of distinguished tastes, but you have out done yourself with today's answers. :)

Samantha said...

Great questions, great answers...I especially liked the technicalities of making the light saber safe to have in your home w/kiddos :)

Pickleope said...

Any post that gets a Huey Lewis and the News AND a Warren G and Nate Dogg reference, is an awesome post.
You're right, my second question was foolish. I guess I was thinking of a non-operative TARDIS, and inert one.
That question about the 10% saved on every purchase, was pretty great.
Good questions, good answers.

Joshua said...

Eva - I had a roommate sophomore year in college, killed my love of Counting Crows with his obsessive listening habits. I like it again now, though. Paris pinata is still a pinata. And no, I don't watch South Park. Never have, except for the occasional clip.

Alex - And even if they don't, I'll still love them.

Ciara - Not much, just "it all." And why not? You deserve it.

Tasha - Can't wait to hear what you think.

vic - You are not there, goof.

Samantha - Those technicalities, while saving the lives of children, would also mean that no one could use it against me. It's a two-fer.

Pickleope - Oddly enough, I have "Poison" by Bell Biv DeVoe stuck in my head thanks to Scrubs (season 5, episode 9). If said TARDIS was inert, I'd park it in the backyard of my house. Win-win.

Cassie Mae said...

Oh! I'm not gonna ask what folder I'm in cuz I just wanna pretend I'm in the coolest one. :)

PS: I'm going to be singing "White and Nerdy" all day now. Thanks for that :)

aziasaidwhat said...

If I could only listen to one era of music... I'd pick the 90's hands down. I know that means no Strokes for me... BUT- there is an abundance of amazingness in the 90's to choose from!

I like when you talk about yourself.

Minxy said...

I know that I was in the removed folder titled "Hottness". :o)

Johanna Garth said...

I'm sort of 1990s and 2000s and I have to say your answer to number 4 was spot on! Definitely, candy!

nutschell said...

those are some really awesome questions--and answers too. I like the idea of a biometric failsafe:)
Happy weekend!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I LOVE your 80's and especially 90's music choices! Those 90's ones were my high school songs! :D

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I'm going to have to add that your 70's choices are pretty damn good, too! Love Don't Fear the Reaper and Dream On! :D

Cherie Reich said...

Love the song "White and Nerdy."

Great answers to the questions. #4 really made me laugh. :)

DEZMOND said...

MR BRIGHTSIDE really was a great album, although I prefer their next album with WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG, BONES and similar...

Christine Rains said...

Of course the TARDIS always wins. House, pshaw!

Here's another question: My son likes that new band, Gotye. He loves to dance to them. I want to listen to 80's music. Does that make him hipper than me?

DayDreamer said...

If only the TARDIS was a real option to live in *sigh*, How great would that be.

Lovely in-depth music answer. If I'd thought about it how to choose one when there's so much good music from each.

Have just googled The Ink Spots and discovered they helped pave the way for R&B and other more modern music. I knew the song but not the band so thanks for that.

S. L. Hennessy said...

My real question is, who WOULDN'T chose the TARDIS house, given the option?

Maurice Mitchell said...

Joshua, TARDIS house rules! First-class answers to thoughtful questions. New geeky follower!
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

Joshua said...

Cassie - Good! It's a great song.

azia - Some absolutely great music in the 90's.

Minxy - It's a hidden folder. Shh...

Johanna - Mmm...candy...drool...

nutschell - It's a necessary protection.

Jaycee #1 - Mine, too.

Jaycee #2 - 70's-90's was a great time for music.

Cherie - "First in my class here and MIT. Got skills, I'm a champion at D&D, MC Escher that's my favorite MC, Keep your forty I'll just have an Earl Grey tea." Amazing lyrics.

DEZ - They're one of the more recent bands that I can stand.

Christine - Never heard them before, so no, he's not.

DayDreamer - The TARDIS would be just...swoon. I love The Ink Spots and that whole era for music. Big Band...early jazz...le sigh.

S.L. - I know right?

Maurice - Thank you, thank you. And welcome.

Stephen Tremp said...

I still follow the teams of my youth even though I have lived in Southern California longer than I did in my hometown of Lansing, Michigan. Tigers are my favorite team! And go Spartans!

The Golden Eagle said...

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay--I love that song.

Great Q&A!

Janie Junebug said...

Why don't you show up in my blog roll?

Love,
Janie Lola

Padded Cell Princess said...

You've got the SNL sketch in my head of Da Super Fans talking about Da Bears!
Love your music choices! I knew we got on well for a reason ;)

Annika said...

I always enjoy reading about other people (mainly because I'm so uninteresting myself, hehe) ~ and your Q&A's are a real treat. Because you get great questions to answer :-).

The last one was long indeed, but very well worth the read.

And how considerate of you thinking of your new followers and doing this Q&A :-).

Paige Kellerman said...

"Yes, Candy!" Hahahaha...love it. Although, I may have to reevaluate our friendship after Seeing Dave Matthews Band on your list...

Juli said...

Now I really want to know what folder I'm in.

(Since there is no "incredibly fabulous moms with secret Jedi powers" folders)

Deniz Bevan said...

Wish I had a TARDIS.

Corinne said...

Loved reading this post! All fabulous answers. I don't know what a Tardis is, I confess. One of these years I will have to sit down and catch up on all the TV I am missing presently. We have similar taste in music. Also... lol at your folders. I should organize my stuff like that.

Joshua said...

Stephen - I don't know about those Tigers. Nah, it's cool. But the Spartans? GO DUTCH!

Golden Eagle - It is a really good song.

Janie - I thought I did? What happened?!

Princess - Da Coach!

Annika - This is why I prefer being interviewed than giving interviews.

Paige - There are very few songs. In fact, it's this one above and the version of "Ants Marching" they did with Phish. That's it. Otherwise, he can go away.

Juli - How do you know there isn't and I've just used Jedi powers to keep it hidden?

Deniz - Me, too, lady. Me, too.

Corinne - And if you had a TARDIS, you would be able to watch all that TV without missing a beat.

Claire Hennessy said...

Oh how weird, I was just reorganising my folders this morning. My son is a massive Dr Who fan so a TARDIS would be his choice for sure. Interesting music choices.

Joshua said...

Claire - TARDIS is always a great choice.