Monday, May 28, 2012

Digital Upload #9

To my country-mates, and indeed anyone remembering a friend or loved one, Happy Memorial Day.

Just a few pictures from the last few days.

Saturday night we were at a friend's 40th birthday party. His wife had this cake made for him.


It was "chocolate mousse" cake inside. Very sweet and very good, but it didn't sit well on the IPA I'd just finished.

Picked up the kids from the in-laws' house Sunday morning, and were greeted by this while walking up to the front door.


The Lampropeltis getula, or Eastern Kingsnake. This one was at least 3 feet in length; definitely not more than 4 feet. At least it's a non-venomous kind.


Hard to see because he blends into the azaleas, but a little gecko (center) just hanging out on top of the bush.

Yesterday we went to the Atlanta Jazz Festival in Piedmont Park. With both kids in tow, I was only able to snap these two shots.



They don't do the chaos justice, but you get the idea. Great day for it. Okay, a little too hot for me, but whenever it's more than 70 outside, I start getting cranky.

Have a great day, everyone. I'll be around blogs over the next few days. Time to go plant some flowers on this day off. Maybe set up the sprinkler for the kids (and water my grass at the same time).

*License: I took these pictures.

Word to the Nerd

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

With the King snake hanging around, that gecko might not live long. They also go after poisonous snakes, so he's good to have around.
Bet it was warm at the Jazz Festival.

Pickleope said...

Nice cake, worthy of the Alcoholic Cake Boss (who might be the same as regular Cake Boss, I don't know his habits).
Jazz festival looks nice, but I'm with you, over 70 and it's unreasonable to have an outdoor festival.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Eek! Me no like snakes! That cake looks awesome!

Adam said...

the cake looks like a real bottle, they did a nice job

Matthew MacNish said...

Macallan 18 year is already like 200 bucks. I wonder how much the 40 year would be.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Oh Em Gee. I would've shart in my knickers if I'd bumped into that snake. Eeeeew

Jamie Gibbs said...

Glad you're having awesome weather there :) I think I'd freak out if I saw a snake in my garden :P

fishducky said...

I hate snakes! I hate heat! Come to think of it, I hate almost everything! (But I love chocolate.)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I can't take snakes. I hate spiders too, but I can pull up my big girl panties and deal with spiders. Not a chance with snakes.

DEZMOND said...

good thing you don't have cobras in your garden....

The Golden Eagle said...

Ha, we found a snake in the driveway yesterday--it was just a garter snake (and dead, unfortunately) but it was interesting to see. I like snakes, except for the poisonous ones. :P

Juli said...

I DO NOT miss the wildlife we used to find in the garden when I lived in Florida. :(

I spent the weekend in NC. It was beautiful, and the best part... no pine pollen.

I wore my contacts all day! :)

Jen said...

I love the cake.

I hate the snake.

I hate that it's too hot already and I started to sweat just looking at your pics from the Jazz festival.

Samantha said...

It was definitely hot this weekend...we live close enough that I feel your pain on the heat, although, I personally love it :) I understand the chaos though...we don't go to those things. I start freaking out when I get swallowed up by crowds.

Joshua said...

Alex - Yes, but it was still a shock to see him.

Pickleope - Agreed! Just gets sweaty and nasty.

Jaycee - It was a good cake.

Adam - A really good job.

Matthew - The 40 year Macallan is $3,000.

Lass - If it had moved toward me, I probably would have.

Jamie - Awesome is relative.

fishducky - Mmm...chocolate.

Tasha - Small snakes are easy; just crush with a boot and twist, twist, twist. That guy...hell no.

DEZZ - Damn good thing!

Golden Eagle - I like snakes behind glass. Certainly not on planes.

Juli - Yay for no pine pollen.

Jen - Don't worry, I was sweating enough for all of us.

Samantha - Each to his or her own with the heat. No thank you.

Kato said...

Looks like you had a good weekend! That snake was HUGE!!!

The pics of the Jazzfest are beautiful! Looked like such a nice day!

Joshua said...

Kato - Busy, busy, busy.