Thursday, May 10, 2012

Digital Upload #8

In preparation for tomorrow's answer session—which I'm hoping to keep as short as I possibly can, but we'll see—I thought I would go a little light today and upload some photos from my cellphone telephone.


I left this pretzel in a conspicuous spot to test a theory that was formulating. I doubted the claims that the cleaning crew up in this joint was actually vacuuming. We never see them, and the only thing I've noticed is that our trash bags have been replaced every morning. So, I put down this piece of pretzel. That was more than six months ago.


This hydrangea came with out house. It gets sunlight, it gets water, it gets shade, and after eight years, this is the first flower it has produced. It sits near the line between our house and the neighbors, but I think the kid they pay to cut their grass has taken it out quite a few times over the last several years. The only thing that has really changed is that a wild apple (I think) tree has shot up nearby, and perhaps it likes the added shade it gets. Regardless, YAY!


I went to put them on the other day, and...SNAP!


Driving back across the street to work over lunch yesterday, my car was making a clunking sound. When I exited the vehicle, I noticed my ear buds had been hanging out the door, clunking between the road and my car for two blocks. It's hard to see, but they're beat to hell, and they're missing the rubber part that goes in your ear. They came with extras, so I popped new ones on, and lo and behold, they still work! If that's not a convincing argument for these $10 ear buds by SkullCandy, I don't know what is.


I have not retouched this photo. The window in my car was down, and as I waited at my usual light to get onto the interstate, I snapped a picture of the cloudy sky. That blue flare on the bottom of those clouds frightens me. Or it could have come from a car headed the other direction catching the diffused light just right. Either way, it's kind of trippy.

That's the whole shebang today, my lovelies. It's cooled off considerably here over the last two days, which has been so nice; a little respite for my electric bill to cool the house down. It was a balmy 72 in the house when I woke up this morning. Joy!

*License: I took these pictures.

Word to the Nerd

27 comments:

Padded Cell Princess said...

The blue at the bottom of the cloud is really trippy. My eyes don't want to accept it as part of the picture and I thought at first that I had looked at some bright, flat light and the blue was an afterglow playing tricks on me. I hope your hydrangea survives as well at the apple tree! What a pleasant surprise! And um, the pretzel...not a pleasant surprise...although not a surprise considering most office cleaning crews...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The ear buds story is funny! At least they still work.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I've done something similar with the pretzel thing at work, just to see if the new custodian was actually cleaning the floors of my classroom. It didn't take 6 months, but it took a lot longer that it should have to clean up the 3 splotches of soda I left on the floor.

Those are some reliable ear buds!

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

oh my goodness! six months!!?!?!?!? that's craziness!
and ditto what pcp said about the blue. :)

Eva said...

I *LOVE* the pretzel story. I bet you smile every time you walk past it.

Matthew MacNish said...

Skullcandy makes great earbuds, but someone my kid still manages to break hers. Go figure.

Samantha said...

I like your pretzel theory...is the pretzel getting moldy yet?

Poor ear buds, but at least they still work!

Libby said...

6 months! Crazy.

Pickleope said...

You should take a photo of the pretzel every day then male a video of them strung together like the parents who do that with their kids and do one of those 10 years in 5 minutes videos.
And I'm sold on those earbuds. I bought one of those pricy Bose kind and they break every year. Cool pictures by the way.

DEZMOND said...

you mean the pretzel is there for half a year now? Wonder how the ants haven't eaten you alive by now :)

aziasaidwhat said...

The cloud picture made my eyes hurt. I have a really bad habit of closing my clothing into my door and not realizing it until I've parked. (Hello LOSER.) You are too cool to not be rocking aviator sunglasses.

Joshua said...

Princess - I didn't notice that blue until I pulled it up on my computer. Hurts my head.

Alex - I was truly shocked.

Jaycee - The soda thing creeps me out more because the sticky sweet would attract bugs. So far, though...nothing wants it.

vic - Hurts your artistic eyes, doesn't it?

Eva - Every single time. One of these days I'll notice that it's missing, and then I'll wonder if it was the cleaning crew or a badger.

Matthew - This is my second pair in a year, but the first got caught and separated one ear bud from the rest of the unit. I still have it, just in case of earphone emergency.

Samantha - No mold, but it's climate controlled.

Libby - Extremely crazy.

Pickleope - I need an atomic clock that counts up so it would just keep going and going.

DEZ - Pest control is an amazing thing.

azia - I would have to get contacts to do that, but I like my artsy glasses.

Annika said...

Hehehe, six months? Really?

When it comes to earbuds, you usually get what you pay for. SkullCandy's awesome, and obviously well worth the investment (over here, they are so fucking expensive it's ridiculous).

That picture of the sky is great, as always.

Cassie Mae said...

I love my skull candy ear buds. They haven't been dragged down the road, but they have survived the wrath of a two year old on a mission to torment the cat.

Teri Brown said...

I guess you're not in charge of hiring/firing cleaning crew, eh?

JustMe said...

That pretzel investigation is hilarious. And also gross.

At least you can feel safe that there are no bugs in your office - because that thing is still there.

Christine Rains said...

That is a cool cloud photo, and that's kind of scary the cleaning crew hasn't picked up that pretzel. What else are they missing that you can't see?

Joshua said...

Annika - And if these $10 ear buds last like this, I kind of want to know what the $20+ ones are like.

Cassie - My kids snag them all the time, and so far, this pair has held up.

Teri - Sadly no. I'm not in charge of anyone.

JustMe - True. No roaches hanging out. Well...not anymore.

Christine - I don't want to think about that!!!

Ciara said...

I won't share what hung out of my car door when I packed up my dorm room and headed home. :)

We get some major lightening here in Kennesaw. In 2004, we'd just moved in to our home, and lightening struck just outside the nursery window. It took out all the electronics, including our home system (alarm, etc..) and blew the Sprinkler system off the garage wall. The fire alarm went off and scared us all. I didn't like that storm.

The Golden Eagle said...

Wow. Those must be tough earbuds!

That's a strange sky--maybe it's some kind of heat lightning?

Emily L. Moir said...

Wow, a pretzel on the floor for six months is ridiculous. On the other hand, your ear buds surviving the abuse you gave them is impressive.

tfwalsh said...

Loved your test on the pretzel..hehe did you speak to the cleaning crew? Ohh the dark clouds do promise a storm...:)

Joshua said...

Ciara - Now you have to! We had a transformer get struck a few years ago. It was crazy scary.

Golden Eagle - No lightning. Pretty sure it was the camera.

Emily - Exactly!

tfwalsh - Not speaking to them. Just keeping an eye on it.

Eolist Petite said...

HA!! i love the pretzel idea! must try that in the bathrooms at work...

Deniz Bevan said...

Fun post, I like the way you worded things. Hope that hydrangea keeps surviving!

Kato said...

Ewww about the pretzel!! Although I have often wondered that myself about my work cleaning crew....

Haha about the earbuds!! Sorry....my sister did the same thing a few months ago and she was freaking out for an hour thinking that something was wrong with her car....makes me laugh.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Joshua said...

Eolist - Oh...I'd stay clear of bathrooms with this kind of thing. Trust me on this.

Deniz - Me, too! It looks so nice finally.

Kato - An hour?! I pulled over after three blocks!!