Thursday, April 26, 2012

A-to-Z Challenge: W

I'm going to state outright that I think you should read this whole post. Not just because there are five images that I couldn't not post because of today's shirt, but because there is a short interview with Emily White that follows.

Almost done, everyone. Thanks for sticking through it.

W is for Whonuts.



Yes, it's another Doctor Who shirt. This one's just the most amazing blend of Doctor Who and Peanuts. I particularly like the K-9 replacement of Woodstock flying above them all. Just great.



Fantastic!

And now for some answers from the illustrious Emily White. Her debut novel is releasing next Tuesday, May 1. Click the image to go to her blog's Elemental page, where you can read more about the book, as well as link to Amazon and Barnes & Noble to pre-order said novel. I'll wait while you go make that pre-order happen.


...
...
...
Back? Great.

Okay, for those of you that don't like to follow instructions, I was hooked merely by the teaser line.

Just because seventeen-year-old Ella can burn someone to the ground with her mind doesn’t mean she should.  
But she wants to.
*Note: This was supposed to be a longer interview, but I typed her email address incorrectly when I sent the questions, and didn't realize this until Sunday of this week. So, I pared it down to these seven, very important questions.*

1. What is your name?
Emily White (or what I like my friends to call me: Emily the Magnificent).
2. What is your quest?
Achieve magnificence through great storytelling.

3. What is the meaning of life?
42. 
And to buy Elemental, by Emily White. :P
4. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
The moment I first looked at a piece of paper. I knew words belonged on it.

5. You can share a meal with any five authors, living or dead. Who would be at your table?
Jonathan Swift, C.S. Lewis, James Dashner, Becca Fitzpatrick, and Neil Gaiman.

6. Does real life offer any inspiration in your writing?
Of course! In fact, one of my characters was very closely modeled after a person I knew in college. And there's also a scene that came about because of a very hilarious pet name I once heard. 

7. Anything else you'd like to share with the rest of the writerly community?
You will buy my book *waves Jedi hand* Resistance is futile. The force is strong with me. :P

LOL!
Or you could just stop by my blog (www.emilytwhite.blogspot.com) and/or facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/authoremilytwhite) and/or twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/Emily_T_White) and say hello!

There you have it, my version of an interview. I didn't even get to send some of my crazier questions. Next interview, I suppose.

*License: I took these pictures; except the last one, which I used with permission.

Word to the Nerd

34 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, Emily - I will buy your book!
(She's good, isn't she?)

Jack said...

"Resistance is futile. The force is strong with me."

I love this! Isn't the first part of it from Star Trek when the Enterprise encounters the Borg for the very first time?

Ah, Star Trek & Star Wars! LOVE IT! :)

Emily White said...

Hehehe! I LOVE those shirts. Especially the last one. Utter brilliance.

Also, thank you so much!! Your questions were HILARIOUS. And those silly mice should have just come to me. I knew what the ultimate question was the moment I saw it. :)

michelle said...

Hi Josh!! I'm visiting from Alex's place (a day late...)
I love the Whonuts characters... they're cute!
Nice to meet you *waves*
From your newestt follower!!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Love the combination of Dr Who and Peanuts. Adorable.

Padded Cell Princess said...

The t-shirts are brilliant! Even for a short interview, it was a good one :) I especially love her answer to #4...answered like a true writer. Good luck with the book!!

Samantha said...

Loved her answer to when she realized she wanted to be a writer...it was well put :)

I gotta get be a Kindle or a Nook or something, so I can read on the go.

Libby said...

I respect Jedi mindtricks. I will go check out the book now.

Pickleope said...

Because of you, yesterday I started watching Dr. Who on Netflix (starting with the Eccleston Dr.). Only two episodes in and I hate myself for waiting so long to watch it. So it's only a matter of time before I pick up Emily's book.

Cherie Reich said...

Emily's book sounds awesome! The teaser does have great voice. And the Whonuts shirt is fantastic.

Paige Kellerman said...

Honestly, I've loved this series of posts. I'm still astounded at your ridiculously fantastic collection of shirts. Makes my, "Pub Crawl 2005" shirt look really lame. Congrats to Emily!

Matthew MacNish said...

Emily's the best!

Shelley Sly said...

That was a fun interview! I've had my eye on her book for a while. :) Will have to buy it!

S. L. Hennessy said...

I LOVE the Peanuts/Doctor Who mash-up. That's hysterical. Though I might like the Seuss one even better, but then I think Doctor Who and Whoville has a nice sort of symmetry.

And I cannot wait for Emily's book! No need for Jedi mind tricks here.

Cassie Mae said...

Emily is one of my favorite people ever! She doesn't have to use The Force on me cuz I'll buy her book anyway. :)

Annika said...

Great shirt, as always :-) (I NEED to see Dr Who pronto).

And I really liked your Q&A with Emily ~ she seems to be awesome indeed.

Jaleh D said...

I'll be buying her book anyway, cause she's one of my writing buds, but when is still an issue. (boo for empty pockets)

Hilarious interview and awesome shirts! Lots the Whonuts and the Whoville. :D

Tny8 said...

That Snoopy as The Doctor poster is my absolute favorite. And I learned on The Venture Bros. that the meaning of life is the number 12 so I call bs!

Joshua said...

Alex - She's very good.

Jack - I almost called foul on the mash-up, but I let it pass.

Emily - The Elemental shirt, right? ;o)

michelle - Welcome to the fold. *waves back*

Lass - As soon as I saw this one, I knew I had to have it.

Princess - Some writers have all the luck.

Samantha - I vote for the Kindle Fire or the iPad myself.

Libby - I'm going to be crass for a second, but I always wanted a Jedi in the actual STAR WARS films to say what Mark Hammill said in JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK: "You don't fuck with a Jedi Master, son."

Pickleope - Excellent news! This is you now, isn't it?

Cherie - It was definitely one of those awesome finds.

Paige - Only a few left to go.

Matthew - Agreed!

Shelley - I've only read the first few pages, but I had to stop to work on other things before being totally sucked in.

S.L. - Good, because using Force powers are draining.

Cassie - Same as previous.

Annika - Yes, you really do need to see DOCTOR WHO. Much more pronto!

Jaleh - I know the feeling.

Tanya - Considering Hitchhiker's was 25 years before Venture Brothers...

aziasaidwhat said...

You should be a professional interviewer. Those were great questions! I'm excited to check out this book! :) Also- when I grow up, I am never waking up before 6am. That is just gross.

Ciara said...

Sorry it took so long to comment. I HAD to go buy her book first.

Joshua said...

azia - I had to interview people during my internship. Never again will I interview like that.

Ciara - If ever there was a reason for being tardy...

fishducky said...

must...buy...book........

Christine Rains said...

OH! I want that shirt! It's pure awesomeness. Sorry, can't stay long. There's a book I need to see about!

David P. King said...

That is more genius than I've seen in a while. Never thought about mashing the good Doctor with Peanuts. :)

Sarah Ahiers said...

i'm reading it right now! Boosh! (and or KaKow!)

Juli said...

Love that Peanuts picture. Snoopy is the man. Or the dog. Whatever.

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

emily is listening as i write this... she says to say she is brilliant and magnificent. don't forget the :P :P :P to offer services... oh wait. i'm confused....
anywho,
manywhos and pretty haha.
i sleepy.
emily is pretty.
and she's staring at me...
scary.
buy book.
buy book.
FRICK!
RRREEEAAADDD book!

Emily L. Moir said...

The tag line hooked me when I first heard about Elemental too. I can't wait to get a copy!

Melissa Bradley said...

Emily sounds awesome. I will have to check her out. Unless of course this is all a Jedi mind trick. ;)

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I don't think you noticed a while ago that I bequeathed an award to you.

http://gillianhefer.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunshine-blog-award.html

tfwalsh said...

Such cool shirts... loved them. Liked the short, sweet interview...:) Going to check out the book.

Rachel Morgan said...

The pictures are cute :) Though if I knew more about Dr Who and Peanuts it would probably make a lot more sense!

Joshua said...

fishducky - Yes *waves hande* you must.

Christine - Good. Go!

David - It's not ideal, but it's pretty funny.

Sarah - WOOHOO!!

Juli - Woof.

vic - yesbrilliantandmagnificent...offerservices...etcetera...

Emily - Buy it Tuesday.

Melissa - No tricks, just books.

Lass - You what? How did I miss that?!

tfwalsh - Glad you liked it, and thanks for coming by.

Rachel - That might help, yes. :oP