Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A-to-Z Challenge: U

First things always come first.

Since I just found out last week that my mother has stumbled upon this blog of mine—even though she never comments—I would like to embarrass her by having you all to wish her a very happy 30,24th birthday. Don't hold back.

Also, to clarify from yesterday's post about the writing contest, I did not place first out of 36,000+ entries. As much as I'd like to claim that, there were two things going on at the same time for that contest. There was the writing contest, and there was a Rafflecopter drawing for an Kindle Fire (or cash option). I won the writing one, and I don't know how many entries there were for that; at least five. :oP

Now that we've covered business, we're going to stretch just a little because U is another one of those hard letters to cover.

U is for Über Nerd.


Because nothing says "I'm a huge Nerd" like my very own Corellian Engineering Corporation YT-1300 Freighter schematic. Also known as the Millennium Falcon.


Today's Top Five List is going to be a bit of a pass, but there are five Star Wars-related things I'm going to share. Three are images, and two are links (because I couldn't get permission to use them that quickly) that you should visit. I mean, if you're a Nerd like me.

Just a little tip: Unless you want to kill a lot of time, don't do a Google search for "Steampunk X," where X is equal to anything in the universe. In this case, Star Wars.

1. Steampunk Chewie & Han — And yes, I'm double-dipping on the iPad wallpaper from above. So... :oP


2. Steampunk C3-P0 and R2-D2 — And if someone wants to buy me this shirt, please do so here.

http://www.welovefine.com/1110-steampunk-counterparts-.html
3. Steampunk Star Wars Portraits — A very sophisticated-looking Chewbacca and C3-P0. The top hat makes the Boba Fett portrait, for sure. I wish the Vader one was larger, but the fact that he's holding his helmet under his arm—like one would when sitting for this portrait—is spectacular. (image removed at request.)


**These next two are links to sites where I couldn't get permission in time, so I'm directing you to them.**

4. Sillof — One of the most-respected custom figure creators. And if you peruse the collection, you'll understand why. Here's the link to the SILLOF site. I suggest starting with "Steam Wars" and working your way down. If you're more of a DC Comics kind of person, go look at the "Gaslight Justice League" figures. You won't be sorry.

5. Bjorn Hurri — I've seen some of this artwork before, but these images are absolutely amazing. Here is the full gallery of amazingness. They're scattered throughout the gallery and there was no direct link to only SW images, so you'll have to scroll through them to see the Star Wars ones (Boba Fett, Yoda, and the Droids are amazing, as is Luke, Han, and Leia. The Jabba one is...umm...), but there are other images from Doctor Who adventure games and original designs, as well as video games like inFamous2, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, Shogun 2, and Dead Space 2. The artwork for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Shadowrun is amazing, as well. I encourage you to check out the whole gallery, but if you just want to see the Steampunk Star Wars images, you can cheat and go here. (*Note: This last link is a French site, so I'm not responsible for the other content on the page. If you're worried about NSFW, you might want to open this on a phone or your home computer.*)

*License: I took these pictures.

Word to the Nerd

40 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The portraits are funny.
Happy birthday to your mother!!

rhi said...

Love it and the steampunk t-shirts too.

Jaleh D said...

Happy birthday, Joshua's mom! :D

And those pics are fabulous. 3PO as a Victorian butler makes perfect sense. And Chewie, Han, and the rest are just as awesome!

Annika said...

That really is an ubernerd shirt :).

And those steampunk things are great, made me want some of them too.

Pickleope said...

Love the Steampunk Star Wars. When I think about the idea of Steampunk, I want to mock it (maybe it's the name), but when I see it, love it.

Kristen Wixted said...

Happy Birthday to Mom.
Congrats on your win! Out of the 5--but the 30,000+ sounds way better.

Emily White said...

Haha! I love the portraits, but you are incorrect, sir. There is something nerdier than having the Millenium Falcon schematics on a t-shirt, and that is having it tattooed on your body.

Please feel free to accept the challenge. :P

Breann said...

As Marky Mark would say "Say Hello to your mother for me." Happy Birthday to her!
Hey winning isn't always "first place." Ask Charlie Sheen...

Samantha said...

I actually love that Millennium Falcon Tee...I would so have one, and then buy one for my Daddy & my Brother.

Sorry I didn't make it by yesterday...the internet in general was really getting on my nerves...haha

J. A. Bennett said...

Oh my goodness, you have just given me a new time suck with these images. Those are fantastic!

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Happy birthday, Joshua's mom!

And, I love your shirt, but - OMG - I really want that steampunk one! So cool!

D'Artagnan said...

If there was any doubt about whether you were gonna make my Christmas card list this year, this post and that shirt in particular takes care of it.

Lil Dreamer said...

I was had a refrigerator that made Chewbacca noises.

Cassie Mae said...

Take Mommy Nerd to Texas Roadhouse! They'll make her sit on a saddle and where a cowboy hat while they sing to her. :) And if there isn't one nearby, I'll sing the song for her. :)


And how many pink shirts do you own? ;)

Hope Roberson said...

Great Millenium Falcon shirt! I'm going to have to work on my t-shirt collection, I'm inspired!

Shelley Sly said...

Congrats on winning the contest! That's exciting!

I love Steampunk Star Wars. :)

Jamie Gibbs said...

Very nice :) Steampunk + Star Wars = one happy geek right here :)


Jamie
Fellow A-Z Buddy
Doing a monumental blog catch-up
Mithril Wisdom

Sarah Ahiers said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSH'S MOM!!

Anyway, is it wrong that i giggled when i saw your cockpit arrow? If so, i don't want to be right.

Also, i may be in love with steampunk Han

aziasaidwhat said...

HI JOSH'S MOM!

S. L. Hennessy said...

Lovin the Steampunk/Star Wars combo. Especially Chewbacca. He was sort of made for it, wouldn't you say? And those were some great links you posted.

Anna Smith said...

Happy bday to your Mum :)

I've never seen this tee before, hmm must start shopping more! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!

Great steampunk art--that sub-genre really seems to be taking fiction by storm these days.

And as always, cool shirt!


The Golden Eagle
The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Christine Rains said...

Uber Nerdy goodness! Cool shirt. Love the steampunk list too. I actually just popped by after peeking in at Jay Noel's blog. His A to Z challenge theme is steampunk!

Tracy Makara said...

Uber nerd! Ha...I love it. Where's the sign up sheet for that club? :)

Happy 30,24th Birthday Josh's Mom! Hope you have a great day and year ahead.

Juli said...

Gotta be honest here, I'm impressed by your abilities to get the two teeny tiny dots above the U in uber.

Just sayin'.

Patty said...

I thought the Millennium Falcon was from Star TREK.

Public stoning to be held today at 3 PM.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

Holy crap. You weren't kidding about your Star Wars love. I feel like you deserve my playset. If shipping stuff didn't cost me so dang much, I'd absolutely send it to you!

I bought my son some crazy t-shirt which says something like LV-426 Weyland-Yutani so I suppose you understand that. I didn't even question him when he asked for it, lol.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

OH, and happy birthday to your incredibly ancient mother. ;)


PS. (Just kidding, Joshua's mom)

Paige Kellerman said...

Happy birthday to your mom! My mother also stalks my blog yet never comments. Perhaps they belong to an entire underground network of moms who read blogs all day but make a pact never to comment..hmmm.

RC said...

Thanks for the BD wishes!

Lady Gwen said...

Dear Joshua's Mom: Happy Birthday! We just adore your son, and as you can see, he's very talented!

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

happy birthday to joshua's mom!!!!
and many more!
thank you for spawning him!

Eolist Petite said...

mmm... tne Millennium Falcon...

Leigh Covington said...

Uber nerd! Love it! And Happy Birthday to your mom! So cute!!!

Ciara said...

Happy Birthday, Mom!! We are all family around here. ;)
I LOVE that t-shirt!! I'm such a Star Wars Geek. Cool Pictures.
I'm sorry I was late to the party. Internet issues yesterday.

Joshua said...

Ugh...busy day yesterday. Sorry I'm just commenting back now!

Alex - They're really nice. I'd hang those up.

rhi - Exactly! They are pretty cool.

Jaleh - I particularly like the Bjorn Hurri image of C3-P0 with the red tie fastened on.

Annika - I would take that Steampunk Droid shirt.

Pickleope - You should look into dieselpunk. :oP

Kristen - You're right, it does sound better.

Emily - Can it be a temporary tattoo?

Breann - I'm so glad you made that Marky Mark reference. Gave me a smile two days in a row.

Samantha - Sorry The Net was bothering you yesterday. I hope it's better today.

J.A. - EXCELLENT! Have fun.

Jaycee - You can find it here at WeLoveFine.com

D'Artagnan - Most excellent.

Lil - Umm...that's not good.

Cassie - Dad's taking her on a hot air balloon ride. Lucky.

Hope - My work here is done.

Shelley - Some things are great as is, and you think they can't be better, and then Steampunk comes alone and you go: "Wow!"

Jamie - Exactly how I felt two nights ago, sir.

Sarah - No, it is not wrong. I'm jealous of Steampunk Han's muttonstache.

azia - Thanks, goof. :o)

S.L. - Chewie was made for Steampunk. A nice "beard" braid, the monocle.

Anna - Yes, you should. :o)

Golden Eagle - I'm a fan of Steampunk. I think the images/graphic novels translate better than prose.

Christine - I'll have to go check Jay out. Thanks!

Tracy - I'll start the list as soon as I have a free moment. So...don't hold your breath, just in case.

Juli - Two Words: Character Map.

Patty - Not at 4:20?

Liz #1 - As I said in my email, I've never heard of the Weyland-Yutani Company who was responsible for The Nostromo that found The Derelict on Acheron (LV-426) where Kane took a Facehugger to the mug and spawned the Chestburster.

Lis #2 - Uh oh...

Paige - I'll bet they all Skype or Facetime together. It's a conspiracy.

RC - You're welcome, mom.

Lady Gwen - Oh stop. Making me blush.

vic - Awesome.

Eolist - Yes...mmm...

Leigh - That what she gets for lurking for so long without telling me.

Ciara - You're not the only one with Internet issues yesterday. Glad you made it by.

Heather M. Gardner said...

So much win!
HMG

Joshua said...

Heather - Very much so, yes.

Raine said...

Happy Belated Birthday Josh's Mom!

Joshua said...

Raine - I'm certain she appreciates it. Thanks!