Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A-to-Z Challenge: P

Thanks for coming by yesterday, everyone. We very nearly surpassed my "most hits in a single day" record. I was amazed, especially considering how very swamped I was yesterday and literally visited three blogs. I'll be playing catch-up today over lunch.

We keep moving forward with the Challenge. Are we still having fun?

P is for Peter Parker, The Amazing Spiderman.


Since we established back with K is for Kal-El that it's not a stretch to use real names, we should have no debate over the use of Spiderman's real name. Especially since Spiderman has revealed his true identity to the world in the comics.



It's such a crazy moment, standing in front of the media, and taking off the mask.

Still not sure how I feel about that one.

All right. It's Wednesday, and time for sharing with the rest of the class. What I thought I would do is add to Jaycee's Lucky 7 meme from Sunday, maybe to help world-build that piece for you. This section comes directly before the seven lines from Sunday, which I've also re-pasted here for continuity purposes.


      Michael was sitting on his butt, his legs crossed in front of him, and the skinny dog laying in his lap. I had never actually seen an animal be so friendly with a human. It was actually nice to see, but I didn’t have much time.

     “Michael,” I said, my voice still pitched low, but urgent. “We need to get inside. It’s going to be dark soon.”

     “Okay,” he breathed in response.

     Slowly, Michael shifted positions, but the dog didn’t react much, and just stayed laying in Michael’s arms as he carried it into the building. While Michael sat with the animal, I started making a small fire in a metal garbage can. It had barely caught when the light outside went out. I added a few pages from the broken books I had stacked nearby to help it get going more. After a few moments, the fire had caught enough that I could turn my attention to sealing the place up. It didn’t take long. The windows had been boarded up for a while, so I moved a few things to barricade the door. All things being equal, the two room building was pretty well secured.

     “That’s it,” I said as I sat down on the floor near the garbage can fire.

     In the flickering light, I could see Michael leaning against the wall, a blanket draped over his lap, and the dog curled up in his arms. It was letting Michael pet it gently, and I could see its glazed eyes opening and closing as it fell asleep. I realized then that Michael was humming to it. A barely audible whisper of a hum, but he was definitely humming low to the creature. His own eyes seemed to be mimicking the dog’s.

     I whispered across the fire to him as I dropped a few more pages of the broken books into the flames. “We should be good to both get some rest tonight. The doors and windows are secured. If someone tries to get in, we’ll hear them long before they actually do.”

     Michael nodded to me, and closed his eyes without another word. I watched him for a while in the flickering firelight. There was a content smile on his face. It made me relax, and somewhere inside of me actually felt a twinge of happiness watching the two of them. By the time I fell asleep, the fire had almost burned out completely. It was the first peaceful sleep I’d had in a long time.

                     * * * * *
     In my sleepy haze, I thought I heard someone crying. For a moment, I thought it was myself, but I didn’t feel sad. I could still hear it when I drifted back to sleep.

                     * * * * *

     Light was streaming in through the open door when I finally woke up. Looking at my watch, I thought it had stopped, but upon closer inspection, the second hand was still moving forward. If it was correct, it had been daytime for a good two hours already. Stepping outside into the light, Michael was sitting next to a mound of freshly tilled earth.

Have a great day, everyone.

*License: I took all of these pictures.

Word to the Nerd

30 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good stuff on yesterday"s visits. You had time to visit my blog, so I appreciate that!

Jack said...

Spiderman (the spelling I remember) is my all-time favorite superhero! Always has been, always will be!

Oh, and I love your excerpt, Joshua! It rocks! This is a great line "I whispered across the fire to him as I dropped a few more pages of the broken books into the flames." So vivid and visual!

Good job!

Joshua said...

Alex - How could I not? You and DEZ are must-reads, otherwise I'm completely out of the loop.

Jack - Thank you for pointing out the alternate spelling. I had to go back to make sure I spelled it Spiderman and not Spider-Man. I changed the one instance with the hyphen. Still not sure why I did that one different from the rest. Maybe because I was looking at the image of the shirt. Who knows.

Rachel Morgan said...

This is what Wikipedia says about The Amazing Spiderman "... announcing the cancellation of Spider-Man 4. Opting for a reboot with the same production team rather than another sequel..." Why? What was wrong with another sequel? Why are they re-telling the same story (or is that not exactly what's happening?!)

Joshua said...

Rachel - I'm not sure what was wrong with the trilogy they already did. And since THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN is another origin story, it's a reboot...and for no obvious reason. Will I see it? Yes. However, I find it oddly funny that they would cast a blonde and dye her hair to play a redhead (Kirsten Dunst) in the previous three, and now they've cast a redhead (Emma Stone) and changed her hair blonde for this one. Hollywood is strange business.

Christine Rains said...

Ah, Peter Parker. I like Spiderman but not Peter so much. If that makes sense! It amuses me how many times they reboot the comic universes, or the alternative universes they write.

Great writing there. Smooth, clear, and intriguing.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Another T shirt triumph! Are you looking forward to the Amazing Spider Man movies?

Jamie
Fellow A-Z Buddy
Doing a monumental blog catch-up
Mithril Wisdom

D'Artagnan said...

To be fair, Emma Stone is a natural blonde that dyed her hair to distinguish herself. At least that's what she told me on some behind the scenes dvd crap.
As for the shirt, I just love it. Spidey has always been my favorite super hero. So much so that not only will I see the rebootage in the theater, but I'm anxiously awaiting the 5 part comic book series where Peter and Miles meet!!

Pickleope said...

I always thought Spider-Man was hyphenated. Luke he was a man, then when he met the spider, he didn't want to give up his maiden name (species) so he went hyphen.

Kristen Wixted said...

I always thought his name was "Spidey" I mean, for those of you who know him well enough to have t-shirts.
I like the word "flickering." Good stuff.

Samantha said...

Never been a big fan of the Spiderman...but maybe it's because I don't necessarily like Toby Maguire (sp)? Nevertheless, saw the trailer for the new Spiderman movie coming out last weekend...and it looks descent. I think I actually like this dude better than Toby Spiderman.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love the excerpt! Very well done! But what's with leaving it there?! I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING. I WANT to know what's happening!

Smedette said...

I was never one for superheroes or comics, but for some reason, I have a soft spot for Peter Parker.

fishducky said...

The hell with Spiderman (although I saw & enjoyed the first 2 movies), I am enthralled with your excerpt! You are one hell of a writer--do you have any books already published? I want them!!

Cassie Mae said...

In response to Rachel, the reason they opted for a reboot was because the studio could not agree on the budget and this is their way of saying, suck it... I'll fire you all and make a movie that fits in the budget that will make just as much money and hire people who will do it for less.

Kirsten Dunst was overpaid anyway.

JennaQuentin said...

Spiderman's my favorite super hero. Just sayin'.

Annika said...

I like Spiderman/Peter Parker, but haven't actually read the comics more than very few times. So what I know is based on the movies they did. Which is not much, I cannot really have any opinion about it. Still enjoy reading your post :), always educating.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Yeah i'm not sure how i feel about Peter Parker being out, so to speak.
And i loved the excerpt!!

Lady Gwen said...

Aw, your story ended sad - great job at "showing" us. I've never paid much attention to Spiderman - that's why I didn't know he was so buff!

S. L. Hennessy said...

I'm with Peggy...I want to know what happens next. You going to keep posting?

And amazing shirt. Spiderman is one of my favorite comic book heroes. Peter Parker is the ultimate nerd turned badass.

Jen said...

Are you looking forward to the new Spiderman movie?

We're redecorating Coop's room into a super hero room and Spidey is sure to be included :)

Joshua said...

Christine - I totally understand what you're saying.

Jamie - I'll see it. Still confused on the reboot thing, but the villain will be excellent.

D'Artagnan - He's Dad's fave, too. It's going to be a good film, at least...I hope so.

Pickleope - It was originally a hyphenate. I just like the other way. Oh well.

Kristen - Glad you liked it.

Samantha - The new guy looks like Jean-Ralphio from Parks & Recreations.

Peggy - Isn't that the prime rule: leave them wanting more?

Smedette - Aww. How cute.

fishducky - Not published yet. I hope soon. I should probably finish it first.

Cassie - Yes, what she said.

Jenna - Oh really? Do tell why.

Annika - Glad you found something in it.

Sarah - He didn't need to be out. No reason. Glad you liked the short piece.

Lady Gwen - I've been working on show not tell, so thank you.

S.L. - Bits and pieces, but it's part of a longer MS.

Jen - How can you forget Spidey? Go with the classics.

DEZMOND said...

so are you excited about the upcoming film, or not so much?

Emily Moir said...

Best part of Peter Parker coming out was J. Jonah Jameson's response. Almost made it worth it...almost.

Scope said...

I always thought Peter Parker was the Spectacular Spider-Man...

Crickets...

When I collected, I loved the Spider-Man titles the most. (Then I married a hot redhead. Hmmmmmm...)

Damyanti said...

I want that Spiderman t-shirt for my cousin---but he's four, so I dunno if you make that kind of size :)


Hope you’re enjoying the challenge so far!
--Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Grammy said...

Hi, fortunately I have only once gotten spam. I enjoyed your Peter Parker post. I read the Spiderman comics from their inception. Always loved them. Best regards to you. Ruby aka Grammy

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Can't stand Kirsten Dunst anyway - prefer Emma Stone much more. :D

Thanks for the credit/shoutout again! Great excerpt - sad, though. ;(

Hope Roberson said...

Oh no, poor puppy :( I'm very curious as to what is out there that wants to get them! I'd wear that shirt :)

Joshua said...

DEZ - I'll see it. Not sure why the reboot other than to save money, but I'm hopeful.

Emily - Just barely.

Scope - Might be something to that...

Damyanti - Oh, there are plenty of Spider-Man shirts out there. Especially now with the new film coming this year.

Jaycee - Sorry that it made you sad.

Hope - I'll have to finish the MS first.