Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Top Five Tuesday: Doctor Who Things

I thought I'd take a break from movies—even though I could talk about movies all day, every day—and get into something a little more Nerd.

The Premise

I had a friend in high school who was, dare I say, obsessed with David Letterman's "Top Ten" lists. So much so that he would share his own top ten lists over lunch periods. The subject matter of those lists is not retained in my long-term memory, no matter how good it is. However, I'm sure I could ask him since I still know how to contact him. Thank you, Blogger and Facebook. One day, as I was reading through the blogs that I follow, I saw that many of them have theme days. That's when I thought I would try my hand at my own theme day, and "Top Five Tuesday" was born. The only disclaimer is that these lists represent my own opinions and are subject to change whenever the hell I feel like it. Also, these lists are not in ranking order, unless specifically said.

I wanted to come up with a list of five things that appear in the Doctor Who world that need to exist. And soon.

Top Five Doctor Who Items That Should Be Real

1. TARDIS. I mean, how can this not top the list?

The TARDIS that Dad built when I was a kid. It wasn't made
with Time Lord technology, so it's not bigger on the inside.
TARDIS, now with Jelly Babies.

2. Sonic Screwdriver. Never need to worry about a lost key or broken computer again.

I also have the larger one that controls any Wii not destined for the U.S.

3. Psychic Paper. Not for use in nefarious means. {No Picture Available}

4. The Chameleon Arch (Time Lord Fob Watch). Not to use, but just to have. Maybe. Not to be confused with The Chameleon Circuit, which would also be pretty damn awesome, but standard with the TARDIS.

5. Time Agent Wrist-Strap. I'm going to push the boundaries of Doctor Who-dom because this is a Jack Harkness tool. However, since it first appeared in Doctor Who before Torchwood was created (when Torchwood was just an anagram code word for Doctor Who...I'm serious, rearrange the letters), I think it counts. Besides, who couldn't use a multi-purpose wrist-strap? Short range communicator, remote control, and personal teleporter. And it still has to work as a Time Vortex Manipulator. That part is key.

Honorable Mention: Perception Filter. Because sometimes, it's just nice to be invisible. Though, technically speaking, if you have a TARDIS, you already have one of these, too. The TARDIS's key has a perception filter on it, and by wearing it on a string around your neck, you become, for all intents and purposes, unseen by the normal eye.

Can someone get on those, please? You might want to start with the Sonic Screwdriver; that would make constructing the TARDIS a lot easier. Just saying.

*License: Dad took the first two pictures; I took the last picture.

Word to the Nerd

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wish I knew a little more about Dr. Who. However, who wouldn't want a Tardis? Teleportation is just the most amazing concept. And would certainly get me to work faster.

Vodka Logic said...

Psychic paper would be awesome, amazing and just freaking wonderful..great list.

nerd-in-training

DEZMOND said...

please don't kill me, Joshie, but I've never watched DR WHO. I tried a few times, and I saw a few episodes.. but only one or two.

Julianna said...

Will your mouth hang in exasperation if I said that I have no idea what you're talking about?

Yeah. You probably look the same as when Tony realized I had never seen any of the Star Wars movies.

That little nugget of info meant 6 date nights in, with much discussion of which order I should watch the movies, and much contemplation of the logic and connection of it all.

Now I just use the force on him. :)

Cora said...

If you haven't seen Scope's post today yet, you should head over there ASAP. We saw some Dr Who-ness we thought you would get a kick out of. You're welcome. :-)

Samantha said...

I'm only nerdy in two aspects: Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings. There are probably a few others...but, although, I've heard of Dr. Who...I know nothing about it. How sad right? Maybe I should feed my inner nerd with more than light sabers, and evil rings :)

Joshua said...

Alex - And on time!Something new for me.

Vodka - It would be truly fantastic.

DEZ - I'll forgive you, DEZ, but only because I like you.

Julianna - Same message as DEZ.

Cora - That was just remarkably beautiful! Wow!

Sam - Yes, yes you should. And Firefly.

QueendSheena said...

I know nothing about Dr. Who but anytime I see a review or a commercial it seems quite good. But Tardis tops the list for me too.

Tny8 said...

With so much longing for a TARDIS I never thought about the practical uses of psychic paper. le sigh Born in the wrong time - unless we get that technology by being enslaved by aliens. That would suck.

Padded Cell Princess said...

I may be able to pop back over to the UK, steal a blue police box, and send it to you in pieces...you just have to figure out the whole magical aspects yourself though...

Matthew MacNish said...

I would have so much more time for video gaming, and, you know, writing, if I could teleport everywhere I needed to go.

fishducky said...

Truth be told, Dr. Who stole all those ideas from me--& then turned me into a fishducky! He said that this curse could be removed if a handsome prince kissed me, But I like being this way!!

Cortney Pearson said...

I don't know much about Dr. Who either, but the teleportation would be awesome! :D

J. A. Bennett said...

That sonic screwdriver sounds like the bomb!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

*sigh* my very own Tardis!

Joshua said...

QueendSheena - It is quite enjoyable. You should check it out.

Tanya - Doesn't matter what time you're born in, just as long as The Doctor comes around once and takes you with him. Right?

Princess - Yes, you do that. I'll take care of the rest.

Matthew - And you'd never be late, right? Just "Oh, I'm late for work. Not anymore."

fishducky - You say that like it's a bad thing?

Cortney - It absolutely would be a fabulous thing. I can picture it now.

J.A. - And it can even diffuse a bomb. See? Multipurpose.

Lass - A boy (or girl) can dream.

Leigh Covington said...

Very fun and creative list! I can't even pick a favorite!

Cassie Mae said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Why did I not read this list earlier? It would have made my day.

May I suggest a Harry Potter gadget list as well? And a Star Trek. Heck, just give me TARDIS, the invisibility cloak, and the food synthesizer.

Jaleh D said...

Awesome list!

I can't believe I never noticed that Torchwood was an anagram for Dr. Who. That's so cool. And makes so much sense.

Christine Rains said...

My favorite list so far! I got my husband a sonic screwdriver for father's day last year. He has yet to build me a Tardis. Or even a jelly bean Tardis!

Don't forget a fez. Fezzes are cool. I wear a fez now.

Scope said...

I will settle for a screwdriver. And you can add a splash of tonic to make it "sonic" if you with.

Deniz Bevan said...

Your dad built you a TARDIS???? I wish I'd lived in your neighbourhood when I was a kid. Sigh.

Joshua said...

Leigh - And the good thing is that you don't have to! You can wish for them all if you want.

Cassie - Yes, you should have. I tried to tell you that. I can't say for sure about any food synthesizer, but Perception Filter is to Invisibility Cloak...

Jaleh - The first time I saw that, I was just in complete awe.

Christine - I don't look good in a fez, though.

Scope - You, sir, have a gift.

Deniz - Actually, he built the TARDIS for himself. It's been 20 or so years, and I'm still waiting for mine.