Monday, October 24, 2011

Sunset At The Beach

There was the dream.
~~~~~

For some reason I was sitting on the beach. I don't like the beach. That might be oversimplifying things just a little bit. I love the water and I love to swim, but I find the sand detestable.

Perhaps it's my tendency toward OCD that makes me hate the sand and its millions upon millions upon millions of tiny, stupid faces. It's almost parasitic in the way it gets into everything and inevitably screws it up.

Or it could be that I don't tan, but if I slather anything less than SPF 5000, I'm torched in 10 minutes. I have a sensitive system

But when I awoke in an old aluminum lawn chair with my bare feet in the sand, I was almost at peace.

All was quiet except for the sounds of the waves mildly rushing to shore. Every so often a larger wave would run up the sand and splash on my feet. It felt warm, just a shade cooler than bath water.

It was slightly overcast, and the sky was a dark blue, shades of oranges, reds, and yellows leaping from cloud to cloud.

There was nothing going. I was the only one there. Enjoying the solitude and perfect warmth of breezy air on my face and refreshing mist of water on my feet. Closing my eyes again, I relaxed before drifting off to sleep.

I came to again, this time as the cold water overtook my lap, making me shockingly alert as if someone had just dumped a bucket of ice water onto my crotch. Jumping up, I raced out of the water, looking back with a tinge of sadness as the water took away my lawn chair.

Half-soaked, the cell phone in my pocket ruined, I slogged up the steps to the beach house. Dad and Papa (my grandfather) were sleeping.

~~~~~

Not the craziest, nerdiest, or even most scandalous dream ever, but stuck in the brain.

Now is the time for me to go finish the last installment for the Rule of Three Blogfest that will be up this Wednesday. I know you're all so excited and chomping at the bit for the conclusion. The end is near, just a little more patience.

Also, yes, I know I promised something for the 100 follower mark that has now been surpassed by quite a few. I'd intended an audio clip, but finding time to record it without two kids running around is quite difficult. Here's an idea: You suggest some books, we do a poll, and I'll do an audio clip of part of the book (most likely the beginning)? Thoughts?

25 comments:

smedette said...

The opening line of "Anna Karenina" has always stuck with me.

I'm not a beach person. At all. Give me the cold, snowy mountains or a forest any time.

Punk Chopsticks said...

Your dream certainly sounds weird, and well, not at the same time. I'm a bookish person, but not really a read-Shakespeare-aloud-by-a-modest-cafe bookish person. i don't know what sounds beautiful. I don't know the first thing about beauty. I think I'll leave this to you

A Daft Scots Lass said...

What a gorgeous view!

Samantha said...

I love the beach, but that's just me...I have a lot of beach dreams. They happen often. Mine are usually of tidal waves taking over the house I'm in, or I'm riding tidal waves into the shore. It's kinda fun...

I am your newest follower :)

Lil Dreamer said...

OMG! I am SO taking credit for this dream!! I think I must have gotten under your skin with my comment about the beach being a great place to pick up "slice of life" conversations to blog about later.

Yep, you're welcome.

J. A. Bennett said...

Crazy dream! That would freak me out a little. Love the tatts!

Padded Cell Princess said...

I love roaming around tide pools but I hate sand as well and swimming in the sea is not very special since it burns the crap out of my eyes.
I'm still amazed at how coherent your dreams are. It must be the sign of a true story teller. I am so excited for the conclusion on Wednesday!
As for what excerpt you should do, I think "Extracts from Adam's Diary" by Mark Twain is quite your style. True, it's only a short story but it is well written and wonderfully humorous to boot!

Joshua said...

smedette - ANNA KARENINA, got it. Give me the cold, snowy mountains, too. The forest, the rain. Yummy.

Punk - Thanks for coming by! Always nice to have another DOCTOR WHO fan in the mix.

Lass - Now if I can just get that view with snow, I'd be set.

Samantha - I rarely dream about the beach, and this one was nice, until my nethers were doused in cold water and I ran away.

Lil - Thank you.

J.A. - If tattoos are well done, they are excellent.

Princess - EXTRACTS FROM ADAM'S DIARY. That's two options for the poll. I wonder if anyone else will have an opinion.

Matthew MacNish said...

I got some great shots of Test Subjects and Aperture Science Scientists at DragonCon. The portal gun was a very popular prop.

Doug Stephens said...

Her earrings almost look like Pac-Man fruit.

IndigoWrath said...

Hey Joshua, our feelings about the beach are virtually identical. Sand? Nasty wee stuff. And it also seems your subconscious is out to get you. Hmmmm, interesting. Indigo

Christine Rains said...

Awesome tattoos. I'm not a beach person either. I don't once remember dreaming about the beach and I remember most of my dreams.

Joshua said...

Matthew - I wasn't able to make it this year, but I saw a lot of Portal guns in the pics.

Doug - That it does.

Indigo - Out to get me?! What?! HELP!

Christine - I knew I wasn't the only one.

Breann said...

I am a Mario-aholic. I remember the days where you had to leave the Nintendo on all night and get up and keep playing because there was no "save." Rather than study in college, I stayed up playing either Mario Kart or Nightfire with friends.
Now, with the little one, I haven't played a video game in nearly a year...

blueviolet said...

I'm with you on the sand. I despise it, but everything else about a beach is fantastic.

I know a blogger who has that shroom behind her ear like that!

Elisabeth Hirsch said...

I LOVE those tattoos LOL! My husband just got his third tattoo--he's pretty excited :0)

I am a dream fanatic. So, here's what I think . . .
You were in a place in life you normally wouldn't like, but you're enjoying it because it has it's own sense of beauty. The chair suggests a need to sit back and contemplate before making a choice. The water shows, change and time for action.

Just too much fun to analyze LOL! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

For a moment, I thought this was a Campaigner challenge post--you certainly did a great job of describing it!

DEZMOND said...

I don't like beach either. I could easily spend my life without ever visiting seaside again :) Last time I've been to the sea was more than 20 years ago :)

I'd like to hear you reading something crazy, like GRINCH or something :)

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Beach dreams can signify a few things. gazing at the sand tells me that you will be returning to something that is soothing and calm for you. Dreams about the water tend to me about things that are unsure and unsettled.

either way you are in a transition which seems to be in a positive direction. Don't fight it, just go with it and let your feet sift through the sand, so to speak.

Biff Tanner said...

Lol, that's a funny tattoo.

writingfeemail said...

Love the beach photo - amazing. Apparently your dreams are just as colorful!

Minxy said...

I'd like to hear you read some of "The Rules According to J.Woww". It'd be great! :o)

And, I h*te the sand too. I h*te how it gets all over me and inside my clothes and my shoes and my car and my bed! H*TE IT!

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

beautiful forboding dream man. well written!

My 2 Pesos said...

Nice tattoos. (:

Joshua said...

Breann - I stayed at someone's house in high school so late playing Dr. Mario that my mom had to call and wake up her parents to tell me to come home. Lovely.

blueviolet - Really?! Who might that be? You?

Elisa - I'm coming to you with my dreams in the future.

Golden Eagle - Nope, not a campaigner (even though I'm still unclear what that means), but thank you!

DEZ - GRINCH, eh? Maybe...

Candy - Given the events of the last few days, a positive direction seems very fitting.

Biff - Agreed.

writingfeemail - Most of the times I dream in grainy film, with a handheld camera. Every so often it's IMAX.

Minxy - Hmm...not sure I can do that...

vic - Thank you!

Pesos - Indeed.