Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Butterfly's Wings

First, an update from yesterday, since you were all so worried: The cookies were fine. Actually, that's not true. They were very tasty. I've had a lot of practice with cookies over the years, and it's an art, so they come out perfect every time. It wasn't until I was done baking and sat down that my back screamed said its piece. Remind me sometime and I'll give you the few tweaks I've made to the recipe to ensure quality.

Well, it seems Vapid Vixen, a.k.a. The Ginja Ninja went all "Tag, You're It" on me with this little thing.


Okay, I'll bite. But only if you ask me nicely. Actually, since I was not at work yesterday, I'm going to be inundated today. So, what better time than to answer the questions she sent along with this little guy. And you'll probably learn a thing or two about me. Sit back, get some popcorn, and let's watch.

Seven Things You Never Cared to Know:
1. I'm quadridextrous. In addition to being ambidextrous, I can also use my feet to do a lot of things. If I had the money, I'd have surgery and physical therapy to have the big toe on each foot made opposable so they were like ape feet. Like this...

...only for reals.

2. I have clinadactyly, a medical term that describes the curvature of the fifth finger toward the other fingers of the hands. This is a genetic thing that I got from my dad, and his dad, and his mother. My uncle does not have it. Nor does my brother. I gave it to my daughter, but not my son. We first saw it on one of The Girl's ultrasounds. That was an amazing moment. You'll also see in this picture, my other fingers have different degrees of curvature. The only thing I ever had a problem with was the guitar, until I learned that Django Reinhardt had lost full use of two of his fingers in a fire when he was 18 and still went on to play some insanely brilliant guitar work. That's why I stuck with it.
Yes, that's my hand with its short fingers. Don't let that fool you.

3. I used to play Dungeons & Dragons from age 8 to 19. I haven't played Dungeons & Dragons in about 12 years, but I still love it.

4. I am responsible for my brother becoming a tattoo artist.

5. My DVD collection exceeds 750, including TV on DVD, but not BluRay or video games. I still own 400 VHS.

6. I have renovated every room in our house. Currently working on the basement. I was supposed to do the electrical yesterday, but with my back hurting and the thunder and lightning, that didn't happen.

7. My favorite number is 42. Followed by Fibonacci. I had both of these engraved on my iPad.

15 Questions:
Name your favorite color.
Orange. 

Name your favorite song.
That would depend on the year and my mood, I suppose. The first one that pops to mind, "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams. I've always wanted to play like that.

Name your favorite dessert.
Honestly, as long as there's no peanut butter or meat, I'll probably eat it.

What wizzes you off.
Too many things to name, so let's just go with your mom.

When you’re upset you...
Chocolate.

Your favorite pet.
That's like saying which is your favorite child.

It's the dog.

Black or White?
Those are great cookies. With a nice hot chocolate.

Your biggest fear.
Falling from a great height.

Best Feature.
Amadeus. Oh, you didn't mean feature film? Okay.

Everyday attitude.
Since the wreck, it really depends on how my body feels when I wake up in the morning.

What is perfection?
Both times we left the NICU—first with The Girl after 11 days, and second with The Boy after 26 days—were pretty perfect days, if you ask me.

Guilty pleasure.
Taking the day off from work and doing absolutely nothing for a few hours.

Now, I'm supposed to award this to 15 people, but how can I choose only 15 of you? So, guess what: You're tagged if you want it. I don't believe in the rules—contrary to my answering of the questions of this award because I hand something planned for today, but it's not finished and this seemed like a good way to interact with you all today.


I hope you've enjoyed the show today. Please take your trash with you on the way out and place into the garbage receptacles near the exit. File out in an orderly manner. Buh-bye. See you next time.

18 comments:

Jen said...

I love your response regarding perfection :)

I concur!

Lemons Don't Make Lemonade said...

You're quadridextrous? Wow, that's some real talent. I wish I could because that would make life so much more convenient and I would never have nightmares about getting into car accidents and being helpless.

Congrats on the award.

DEZMOND said...

I think that in 1. and 2. I learned some new words I will probably never use again :)
Did you like DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS film?
We need an explanation for 4.

Oilfield Trash said...

Congrats on the award!!!

aziasaidwhat said...

"What wizzes you off.
Too many things to name, so let's just go with your mom."

You are hilarious. I feel stupid everytime I read your blog, because I giggle out loud and I realize, that though no one else i here, if they were, they'd think I was a crazy person for laughing by myself.

Joshua said...

Jen - Out of everyone, I knew you would appreciate the sentiment.

Lemons - I was thinking they'd be more useful for typing with my feet while I stretch out and drink tea.

DEZ - The tattoo thing? Sure, why not. Stay tuned.

OT - Thanks.

azia - Well, I'm glad you meant stupid as in silly, not "what the hell is he talking about." As far as "crazy person for laughing by myself" welcome to my world.

Padded Cell Princess said...

Considering that you are a self proclaimed nerd who's blog is Vive le Nerd, I think your 'random fact' about Dungeons and Dragons is more of a given ;) (and as addicting as it can be and how nerdy my husband is, I don't let him go near it!)

Joshua said...

Princess - Excellent point, but I know plenty of nerds who won't touch it. Why? Apparently it's "too nerdy" for them.

Kingmush said...

Great to learn more about you. =p

Shell said...

Hey! I feel like you are making fun of my feet. It's very handy that I am able to pick up things with my toes. My boys all look exactly like my husband- but they got their monkey toes from me.

blueviolet said...

You need to rid yourself of those VHS movies! However, I'm gonna show you one day that I can top your DVD library!

My daughter's ex had pinkies just like yours!!!

Joshua said...

Shell - No, no, no. I'm not making fun of you. I'm making fun of myself. I'm also being serious. If I could make the to opposable, I'd do it.

blueviolet - The VHS collection used to be about 1,300 strong. I've replaced most of them, but some you just can't get on DVD, which is why they remain.

Kato said...

You should have been an ape/ dinosaur...

Great post!

Joshua said...

Kato - I do know other people in Toronto. Keep it up and I'll send them after you.

Eolist Petite said...

goodness, you don't happen to have relatives in the mitten state do you? sadly my toes are becoming far less nimble where pinching is concerned...

Joshua said...

Eolist - Sorry, no family. Plenty of college friends still live there, though.

Candyland said...

That's funny 'cause your mom whizzes me off, too :P

Your fingers are seriously cool.

Joshua said...

Candy - Touché. Though, is this when we start with the "Yo Mama..." jokes?