Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Top Five Tuesday: Amazing Movies

I used to do this thing in a recent blog incarnation where I would put up a Top Five list of a usually specific, sometimes random topic. I'm bringing it back today. The basic point should be evident. Remember, unless otherwise specified, these lists are not a ranking.

Top Five (Current) Favorite Movies, Any Genre
  1. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World : Perhaps the ultimate nerd movie. Seriously. My top five movies list had not changed in a while until this movie came along. I'll admit that it's certainly an acquired taste, but even if you're not into comics and video games, it's still a cute movie. Michael Cera was a really good choice for that awkward nerd role.
  2. Leon (The Professional (Deluxe Edition)) : Completely amazing film. Directed by Luc Besson (The Fifth Element), and starring Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and a 12-year-old Natalie Portman. I have no words to describe this film. Utterly amazing, visceral, yet sweet.
  3. Amadeus : Yes, this is a long film. Yes, it's a biopic, of sorts. F. Murray Abraham was insanely brilliant as composer Antonio Salieri, and Tom Hulce as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was both amazingly off his rocker and intense in his... Okay, look. There is a scene where Salieri is sneaking around a palace to taste some desserts that caught his eye. While doing so, and young woman runs into the room. Salieri hides out of sight. The woman crawls under a linen-covered table. The door opens again, and you do not yet see who it is. There is playfulness as the woman is pulled out from under the table, and then she and this young man proceed to chase each other around the room, and kiss, and flirt, and carry on. Suddenly, the man is standing, silent, with a concentrated look on his face, his hand in the woman's face silencing her with the gesture. And he says, "That's my music. They've started without me." He flees from the room, and we see Salieri's face, this look of utter disbelief. The whole movie is a flashback, with an older, committed to a sanatorium Salieri telling the story to a priest. In a voiceover a little while after the scene I have described, Salieri is looking at Mozart's pages, noting its simplicity at first, and how it becomes so much more with each additional instrument. Reading those pages, hearing the music in his head, he describes it as hearing the voice of God. "This was no composition by a performing monkey. This was a music I had never heard. Filled with such longing, such unfulfillable longing. It seemed to me I was hearing the voice of God." Mozart arrives, snatches the pages, and whisks away. Salieri continues, "But why? Why would God choose an obscene child to be his instrument?" I'm not doing it justice by just typing the words, and I've gone on long enough about this movie. It's amazing from start to finish, and filled with beautiful music and scenery.
  4. Star Wars : This movie will never leave my top five. Ever. There is only one version of this movie, and it's grainy, on VHS, and Han shoots first. Period. There was no episode number and no parenthetical ("A New Hope"). Sadly, it's hard to come by in this version anymore.
  5. The Hobbit & The Return of the King: Animated in 1977 & 1980 by Rankin & Bass (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, ThunderCats), these films are superb, if insanely shortened versions of the Tolkien novels. I'm interested in the live action film for The Hobbit they're working on, especially now that Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings) has taken over the director's helm. The animation style of these two films was amazing for its time, and still looks awesome, even if it's not 3D computer animation. It had texture. The latter of these two films had a really great song at the beginning called "Frodo of the 9 Fingers and the Ring of Doom." I have it in my mp3 library.
That was a little longer than I'd anticipated. That's what she said. Or not.

And there you have it. However, it prompts me to ask: What are some of your favorite films?

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Favorite films...that's something to stop and think about. I'm sure it will evolve with time.

And yes, HAN SHOT FIRST!

Scope said...

I'm not sure what all 5 are, but "The Princess Bride" has to be in it.

And Han absolutely shot first.

AND
I
LIKED
THAT!

aspiring_x said...

ohmygoodness! i LOVED scott pilgrim!!! but my hubby didn't understand it at all! have you seen kick-ass? that movie really surprised me by how deep it was at moments... totally NOT what i was expecting!
and the animated HOBBIT!!!! ohman! i used to watch that over and over as a kiddo at my grandma's!!! TEXTURE is right!!! those illustrations are totally beyond compare!! never seen amadeus or leon...
hmmm... i love way too many movies... maybe dead poets society and serenity would make my top five... i'm not sure! :D great list!

SunnyToast said...

Timely...I came across your blog and got nothing much to do since it my rest day from work and reading your blog makes me watch movie under your list:)

JennAventures said...

I loved Amadeus!

Brigid Daull Brockway said...

One of the special editions of the Star Wars collection - I want to say it was the one that came out about 5 years ago - has the original movies as "Special Features." Grainy, yellowed, and yes, Han shoots first!

My top 5 include
The Muppet Movie, Harvey, Across the Universe, Singin' in the Rain and Shawshank